Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any experience with the Samsung Galaxy WiFi version

Any experience with the Samsung Galaxy WiFi version

My wife recently bought me a Samsung Galaxy in the WiFi version. I am wondering what other members here have experienced as far as aviation apps on this tablet. I know the iPad is what most people are using for charts and GPS but I am all for competition and am not an Apple lover so got the Samsung Galaxy.
    Is this unit capable of using it for downloading aviation charts so I can use it as a moving map on cross country flights? I have an AvMap EKP IV but the downloads to update charts get expensive every month for the few cross country flights I do. I mainly fly less than 250 miles of my home strip. Unfortunately my wife took a job over a 1,000 miles away so I want to fly back and forth occasionally.
    Any app downloads you guys can tell me about or help would be greatly appreciated. Be forewarned......I am not to computer savvy!!
    Thanks!
    WW

The only one that I'm aware of at the moment is Avilution Aviation Maps found here (not available on the Android Market, but you can download it from the site):

http://www.avilution.com/

T
    here is a subscription fee for the maps, but it's reasonable at $4.95/month (for now, until the government chart people change the pricing structure). So far, even though it's a young product, it's quite nice. It's the only one that I'm aware of that has a Search and Rescue Pattern option that will offer you an entry point, a bearing, and how long the SAR pattern legs are and how far apart they are.

If you've used or are used to the iPad interface, it'll take a little bit of getting used to. But if you're going in fresh, it's pretty easy to figure out. It also has a nice airport finder and information database interface.

While it has approach plates, etc., they aren't geo-referenced (yet).

All in all, a nice package!

~Chris
    Christopher Owens (EAA #808438, VAA #723276)
    Germantown, WI
    Bearhawk Plans #991, Bearhawk Patrol Plans #P313

Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

I reviewed the different tablets and decided on the Galaxy Tab 10.1......aviation apps are growing for the Android market.

The best compilation of Android apps I found was here:
    http://chomp.com/q/search?platform=a...+android&p=153

You might be especially interested in the Naviator....looks pretty good ( I have NOT tried it as yet ). This is free.

You might also investigate the gps I use......iFly 700. http://ifly.adventurepilot.com/HOME.aspx
    I have the 700. They have just come out with the 720 ( mo better ). VFR chart updates are $69 per year and IFR updates are $109 per year ( update as frequently as you wish ).

Yes, this is a "plug" for the Adventure Pilot iFly 700. I use it. I like it. It is simple, easy, geo-referenced moving map display.

Another Android app you may find interesting is FlightIntel for Pilots. This has info like the AFD but you can also add weather reporting stations to your favorites. Rather nice.

The aviation apps I currently have on my tab are: NOAA Surface weather link, AOPA link, CSC Duats link, I have the Aviation Weather Android app, E6B+ Android app and the FlightIntel for Pilots Android app.

This provides me info on the tab, at the aircraft for checking airport data and weather. Quite nice when the FBO is closed.

Any questions.... frank_cordrey@hotmail.com

Frank

Okay guys, I have been searching for different apps and on the Avilution site they have an update that I am understanding makes the app less desirable.

Update: Avilution AviationMaps is no longer available on the Android Market due to a dispute with Google regarding whether a subscription model represents a violation of their terms of service.

Anyone know what this means? Did I screw up going with the Galaxy instead of the iPad?

It's nothing nefarious, don't worry :-)

Avilution Aviation Maps used to be available on the Android Market. But because there's a subscription portion of it (you have to subscribe to get the maps), it conflicted with Google's rules on application sales. They have a blog post on the issue here:

http://www.avilution.com/?p=269

N
    o worries

~Chris
    Germantown, WI

As Frank noted, I am also an iFly owner. I have the apps on my tablet (iPad), but still use the iFly in the plane because it's the "right size". The iPad is too big for my personal taste. But if I had a good 7" tablet (Galaxy Tab 7, for example), I'd definitely be looking for a good Android-based aviation app to compare it to.

~Chris
    Germantown, WI

Oooo... Naviator is certainly a contender, isn't it? And it's got Seattle Avionics' geo-referenced plates. I looked at this one briefly a week or two ago, but completely forgot about it until now.

~Chris
    Germantown, WI

Naviator has some great reviews thats for sure. I am a neophyte on this tablet, heck, I still use a non-smart phone due to my stubbornness. Or better yet, my fright from learning something new.

For continued information and education, this was posted by Avilution on Facebook this morning:

"New Baro Altimeter option for devices which have barometers (e.g. Motorola Xoom and Galaxy Nexus). When operating in unpressurized environments, it may be more accurate than GPS altitude for some users."

Name:  Avilution_Aviation_Maps_1-4-19.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  15.5 KB
    Germantown, WI

Chris, I sure appreciate the continuation of info you are providing. Heck I am still trying to figure out how this tablet basically works.
    I am using the 10.1 which may be a little big for flying use but my way of thinking was to use the biggest screen I could so I could see it decently. A couple of years ago I started having trouble reading the screen on my handheld so while at Oshkosh I bought an AvMap EKP IV and have been fairly satisfied with it other than the high price that is required to constantly update the maps every cycle. I mounted this GPS at a good spot in the plane where I was able to read it through my bifocals. My thinking is the larger screen of the 10.1 Galaxy will be even easier to see than the AvMap. Its hell getting old!!!