Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Any experience with the Samsung Galaxy WiFi version

Quote Originally Posted by subnoize View Post
    The point is this;

the point is this - i fly canopy aircraft, mustangII, zodiac 650, thorp t18, van's, etc. the best software in the world won't show up on a dim screen. that's why i asked what type aircraft. thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by cdrmuetzel@juno.com View Post
    the point is this - i fly canopy aircraft, mustangII, zodiac 650, thorp t18, van's, etc. the best software in the world won't show up on a dim screen. that's why i asked what type aircraft. thanks.
    Since I am the originator of this thread, why don't you start a new thread asking your question as to not get this thread off topic.

Even iPaddies shrink from the sun. Not one tablet I know of works well in the direct sun so don't get one.

Another way of saying it is this; what makes a device readable under direct sunlight (right now) makes the screen ugly as hell for things like pictures and video. So, the worst devices for direct sunlight are the best looking tablets. Also, the better looking screens use more battery power.

snz

Quote Originally Posted by WWhunter View Post
    Since I am the originator of this thread, why don't you start a new thread asking your question as to not get this thread off topic.
    didn't mean to ruffle your feathers. the thread title is "Any experience with the Samsung Galaxy WiFi version" and it seemed rational to ask where and how experience with the units and the apps was gained. the best app is worthless if the screen is unreadable. an ipad 3 in a canopy aircraft is readable when held just "so" and i hoped to find out how the samsung galaxy stacked up.

thanks anyway.

Didn't "ruffle" my feathers at all, just trying to ask that another thread be started so as not to get the main topic off of the question about different applications used for these tablets. If you read my original post, the question specifically asks about applications. I see too many threads going way off topic due to someone thinking they are the only person in the world that exists and need their question answered without starting a thread more relevant to what they are asking. You had a very relevant question, just felt it would have made a good thread on its own as I am sure guys have come up with different ideas as to ways of lessening the effects of the suns degradation of viewing capabilities.

i've bought a samsung galaxy tab 2 10.1" and loaded avare and route 66 for mapping applications. they work fine and i can read the screen in a mustang II.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d=com.ds.avare

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...TY2Lm1hcHM1Il0.

I am still using my Xoom original with Garmin Pilot but added a GDL-39 and love it! When I'm not in a Mode S equiped ride I sometimes lose traffic when the last guy in 50 nm leaves but that rarely happens in Georgia. I would never have thought my internal GPS was THAT FAR OFF! Yikes! I will never trust a phone GPS again. You will see where they claim to be accurate to within 2 meters but in truth that are as much as 200 feet off in any of the three axis.

I personally believe Garmin Pilot is the best app on Android, even without the GDL-39. The safetaxi, weather panels, airport data are all good. Add a GDL-39 and it only gets better.

snz

subnoize,
    I have recently become aware of Garmins app. Having owned many Garmin products and seeing their downturn (my opinion) in the way they charge for everything and the way things are not as user friendly as they once were I was gradually getting away from their products. Case in point, I have one of their NUVI 1390T auto GPS's in my vehicle....it has been nothing but trouble and at times the mapping is way off without info that is supposed to be there. I got very tired of always trying to update it and then get to a location and nothing is there. Got pretty disenfranchised with their products......ok, got off topic.
    I will state upfront that I am surely no computer savy person. I get by but do get frustrated with them quite easily.
    Maybe I will try their app and see if it is worthy of my use. Thanks again for the replies everyone.

OUCH!!! $799 for that antenna!!!! DANG that isn't going to happen anytime soon. Little out of my budget right now.

Antenna? The ADSB "in" devices include 32 separate recievers if I'm not mistaken. 2 for the ADSB system, up to 30 for WAAS GPS, then you have an altimeter and a computer that processes it all. Then for communication with your tablet you have yet another tranceiver for Blutooth. $799.00 is about right.

What you get is inflight, subscription free weather, traffic and truly accurate GPS. The GPS in you tablet is up to 200 feet off at any time. Next devices out will be a Blutooth AHRS which means your cockpit will be portable, except for engine instruments.

GDL-39 is worth every dime in congested areas...

snz