Thread: Trying to locate a CFI in my area?

Trying to locate a CFI in my area?

I recently(1 1/2 years ago) relocated for a new job to Glendive, Montana. After the usual time to get settled and get comfortable in the new surroundings I have recently tried unsuccessfully to locate a flight instructor(with an aircraft) to continue my flight training. I have found one but his only aircraft is a Bonanza and that is not exactly the trainer I was hoping for let alone the amount it would cost to fly.
    Hoping someone might know of someone in the region who is doing primary flight training? I am willing to drive 100 miles if I have to( I guess).

Thanks,
    Chris

Happy Flight Instructors in Montana

Christopher -- I feel your frustration, but there is help available --

AOPA.org has a database of Flight Instructors --- I just checked it and there are a bunch in Montana --- get to their database and see those closest to you and check them out.

Good luck, and if you are ever in Florida, give me a shout.

Ron Simonton, CFII

Thanks Ron, I have already been through the AOPA list and still nothing as of yet.

I'll keep trying though.

Chris

A Bonanza is a really nice flying airplane, though it may cost a little more to fly than something more ordinary.
    And the Beech is easy to fly, very easy to land.
    Years ago,as a new private pilot with only a couple of hundred hours, I was looking for my first plane to buy,and I took my first flight in an old V tail that was on the market. I didn't buy that plane, but did land it with no trouble and I wasn't even checked out in anything more than a Cherokee warrior.
    If in the future you want to move up to a more sophisticated plane, you'd already have the complex and retract time in the Bonanza.
    You don't say what model or year the local CFI's plane is , but an older Bonanza may not have a much different operating cost than a newer traininig plane.
    I think most any kind of plane that is close would be preferred to one that requires a long drive to get to.
    Good luck, and by the way, winter in Montana is not forever, it just seems like it.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 02-20-2012 at 08:22 AM.

Thanks Bill, I just cannot afford to pay for 11+ gallons an hour for training purposes.

This winter has been fantastic. Maybe had 2-3 inches of snow total and none of it has collected. Lately has been in the 40-50 degree mark. My kind of winter and well deserved after last year's horrid, cold, miserable and never ending winter.

Thanks again,
    Chris

(((((Bump))))

Anyone? Bueller ........ Bueller .........Bueller>>>>>>

I have just about given up!! it just doesn't make sense to drive 220 miles to Billings for an hour or two of dual. Am always on the look out though. Hoping someone here can get the word out.

Thanks.
    Chris

Can't you check at whatever local airports you have? I'd check the bulletin boards & ask of anyone you see around, you should be able to sniff out a lead. I run into people who seem to know of or are a CFI who isn't advertised. You just need to find the right connection.

O.K., I looked up your home airport, seems fair sized. To save on fuel & speed things up I'd get a chart(look online,airnav,fltplan.com etc) & call every airport/FBO within a reasonable distance & tell them what you are looking for & ask questions. Call a few numbers you may see at the same airport even. A local CFI may not be obviously advertised. You need to make things happen, don't be sitting back. Can we expect you at Airventure this year?
    Last edited by Joe Delene; 06-23-2012 at 08:21 AM.

You might even look at purchasing your own airplane. Then put out a quest (on bulletin boards) at the surrounding airports. There might be CFIs available, but no airplanes. Check in with the area EAA chapters. SOMEONE KNOWS SOMETHING.