Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2 gripes this year

Guess I was one of the "offenders" this year. We have always flown up in the past, but decided to bring the camper this year because of the weather. Stayed at the Stadmuller Farm because it was easier to get in and out of. We actually parked pretty close to the opening to Camp Scholler where some people walked through. I didn't see anyone rip down any fences, but plenty of people walked to the port-o-lets that were placed right at that opening. Everyone has paid for the wristbands to get in the show, not to mention that we are EAA members, presenters, and volunteers. It is just a matter of convenience to walk to the units 20' from the campsite as opposed to walking into the show. Also used the opening to get access to the fly-in theater. Why the big fuss, do you really need the $24/day to empty out the port-o-lets at that opening as opposed to the ones near Knapp St? It isn’t like we could drive through to use the waste dump, buses, or other services of the campground.

Quote Originally Posted by rawheels View Post
    Guess I was one of the "offenders" this year. We have always flown up in the past, but decided to bring the camper this year because of the weather. Stayed at the Stadmuller Farm because it was easier to get in and out of. We actually parked pretty close to the opening to Camp Scholler where some people walked through. I didn't see anyone rip down any fences, but plenty of people walked to the port-o-lets that were placed right at that opening. Everyone has paid for the wristbands to get in the show, not to mention that we are EAA members, presenters, and volunteers. It is just a matter of convenience to walk to the units 20' from the campsite as opposed to walking into the show. Also used the opening to get access to the fly-in theater. Why the big fuss, do you really need the $24/day to empty out the port-o-lets at that opening as opposed to the ones near Knapp St? It isn’t like we could drive through to use the waste dump, buses, or other services of the campground.
    If you want to enjoy the convenience of a shorter walk, then support the EAA and camp in Scholler.

You're so oblivious to the impact of your actions, I almost didn't respond.

The port-o-johns in Camp Scholler are distributed through the camp based upon predicted need. One would argue that these are place in the camp for camp residents and their guests, not the general public or typical Airventure guest. There are plenty of facilities on the grounds to suppport those folks elsewhere. There was probably twice the volume of usage with everyone from Stadmuller using them. That made them unpleasant for those of us that chose to support the EAA by camping at Scholler.

We also had a steam of folks walking through our camp site, which we initially thought would be limited being at the south end of the row. We quickly found out how untrue this was due to the traffic from Stadmuller taking the short cut. There were several folks that were consistently disrespectful to several Camp Scholler attendees. I know it's being stereotypical, but from the other side of the fence, it look to be more the normal than the exception.

There was an orange snow fence erected twice duration the week and hence taken down by Stadmuller campers.

Why do you feel that you are "owed" this right from the EAA?

Perhaps next year we should pay your camp site a visit to use your camper's facilities? I suspect that you would be a little agitated after a while too.
    --
    Bob Leffler
    RV-10 Flying
    www.mykitlog.com/rleffler

Bob,

I’m sorry that you had a bad experience. Kind of sounds like when you think you happened to get a great spot at the state park, just to find out it was open because it was right next to the kids playground or something. (Although, I imagine there was some poor sap parked along Highway 41 that would have traded places with you).

I think the EAA did a great job predicting the need; there were about 8 toilets parked right at that opening, and there were never fewer than half open for use. I agree that people who camp there shouldn’t feel “owed” the access/shortcut to the event, but I know I certainly appreciated it. Much like I’ve appreciated being able to cut through the parking areas to the museum, or Motel 8 letting me cut through their parking lot to get supplies in the past. However, I will say the aisles seemed well marked to me in Scholler, so I think it is unfortunate that you had people actually cut through your site.

As mentioned before, the group of people in the next field ARE supporters of EAA and AirVenture. I don’t think that people who stay at the dorms, reliever airports, or local houses are any less supportive of the organization, and I have a feeling that EAA appreciates them even if they get there before the dawn patrol, stay until after the parties, and use the bathrooms all day long.

Next year I hope to be camped under the wing again, so “my” facilities will be the ones near the planes. Either way you’re welcome to pull up a chair at the campsite, just take the chip off your shoulder before you come.