Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 gripes this year

2 gripes this year

I have 2 gripes about the show this year.

First, I think it's terrible that camping world has taken over the handicap camping space near the computer shack/shower house area with all their sales model RV's. There is only handicap camping around the fringe of that area. How can they-EAA or CW-justify that? money?

Second, I think it's time that umbrellas, umbrella chairs, canopy chairs, and other forms of sunshade be banned within 20' of the flight line. The first 3 are bad enough about blocking people views (and photos), but I saw someone set up something that looked like 1/2 a dome tent today.

My 2 cents.

You got my vote. People are rude in both cases cited.

It's bad enough to be short and having tall people push up in front of you when they can already see over you, then have people set up structures that block the view of everyone behind them.

Put on a hat and sunscreen like the rest of us have to.

Save the tent-like chairs for the campgrounds.

Speaking of the RV sales, those guys need to set up in the campground applicable to where they belong or get vendor space inside the show proper like FORD. They don't need to be taking up camping space set up for disabled people.
    Last edited by dmbleess; 07-26-2011 at 07:44 PM.

In a house with my laptop.....somewhere in Collierville, TN
    As a disabled vet, I'm sure saddened to hear EAA has sacrificed disabled space/facilities to a commercial entity. Just another sign of EAA chasing the almighty dollar over all else? Hopefully it is just an oversight, but everything high dollar has been pursued over the simple/grassroots over the years. I'm 48 and have been around EAA literally all my life and have been a member since I was in my twenties. I hope EAA won't forget what brought them to the party over the years.

That does sound reasonable! Also, it seems like there are way too many golf carts and other vehicles darting around the crowds too.

unoffical vehicular traffic

Quote Originally Posted by 3ddein View Post
    That does sound reasonable! Also, it seems like there are way too many golf carts and other vehicles darting around the crowds too.
    I agree about the carts, but I'd like to extend it to too many vehicles in general. I understand there needs to be vehicles in order to provide services, but there seems to be too many that appear to not be involved in "official" business. I have found them to be irritating in years past, but this year I brought my six year old son with me. This increased the difficulty to work around these things and at one point, a cart drove past only to make a 180, pass us on the other side... almost took out my son. I am getting tired of seeing young people, who are more than capable of walking, joy riding around just because they can. I will have to reconsider not only taking my son but also my soon to be 4 year old daughter due to the fear of them walking out in front of some darn cart! I would think that, if it hasn't already, it will lead to some liabilty issues.

On the bright side... Great convention this year and loved the night air show. I'm going through my annual AirAdventure withdrawl!!

hmm. They made some serious layout and rule changes a couple of years ago because of cart/tram/vehicle traffic (took long enough though!). While cart incidents were way down, IMHHO, many of those that did get through did seem totally unnecessary, in that that weren't carrying anything, and it was just a single person (driver), going into the "restricted" areas.
    OTOH, some of these people may have been forum presenters, service area supervisors, etc. There is just no way to tell if they are necessary or not.
    Are there resources available to police the carts better? probably not. I think this is something that could be complaint driven. Get the sticker number if possible, time of day, names or descriptions of occupants, and take it to the show office.

I agree with you John. I am not tall enough to see over all these umbrellas, canopy chairs, etc. I know it is first come first serve for seating, but please limit your shade to a hat or head covering like I do. Just one mans opinion

You gotta find a wing or stab and just park it there. Best way to keep out of the sun without lugging aroud your own shade all day.

My gripe was the camp site southwest of the maintenance building (not EAA) have campers tear down the fence enclosing Scholler, using Scholler facilities (their's had none), and cutting through Scholler to get to the Airventure grounds. If they are too cheap to support EAA and pay fees to camp in Scholler, then they shouldn't be granted any of the amenities. What disturbed me most is that they actually took the fence down multiple times during the week. It was like a freeway through our camping area where we thought we were at the end of the street where there should have been very little traffic.
    --
    Bob Leffler
    RV-10 Flying
    www.mykitlog.com/rleffler

Hi Bob,

Yes we are aware of the issue in that area and our campground and security teams are looking into alternatives to cutting down on the problem.

It is annoying, indeed.

Steve
    Steve Buss
    EAA# 317080

May your take offs always equal your landings.