Thread: When is TSO needed for IFR?

When is TSO needed for IFR?

Radio?
    Transponder?

I know the transponder has to pass the IFR performance check, but does it need to be TSO's in an experimental?

What about the radio?

Thanks

No clue but personally, I'd rather not be in hard IMC and relying on something that isn't. Just my two cents....your mileage may vary.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Handelman View Post
    Radio?
    Transponder?

I know the transponder has to pass the IFR performance check, but does it need to be TSO's in an experimental?

What about the radio?

Thanks
    A TSO is required when the regs say it's required. For example, 91.215 requires ATC transponder equipment installed to meet performance and environmental requirements of TSO C-74b, TSO C-74c, or TSO C-112.

Nothing at the moment requires a com radio to meet any TSO performance requirement.

Here is a helpful article that addresses this subject.

http://www.myrv10.com/tips/IFR/KeithThomassen.html

I agree with Steve.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    I agree with Steve.
    *faints*

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

I'm all about being prudent, Steve.

IFR and icing conditions are no-play zones, IMHO. "Gooder enough" doesn't cut it. Either one has the proper equipment as laid out based on years and years of experience or one doesn't, IMHO.

Not all rules are meant to be broken.

That's why I'm firmly in the Very Nice Day VFR only world of flying, where one wing over the centerline on landing counts as precision enough.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Noted. To me, I enjoy IFR flying, especially in IMC and one of the reasons why my current design (the larger one, not the LSA) is so large and complicated is to allow for icing protection equipment. This is one of the many areas where I see the FARs and other standards as being not the firm limit but rather the minimum standard (as they were intended for the most part) to be exceeded whenever possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post

I'm all about being prudent, Steve.

IFR and icing conditions are no-play zones, IMHO. "Gooder enough" doesn't cut it. Either one has the proper equipment as laid out based on years and years of experience or one doesn't, IMHO.

Not all rules are meant to be broken.

That's why I'm firmly in the Very Nice Day VFR only world of flying, where one wing over the centerline on landing counts as precision enough.

Keith's document is more or less right (though I find his writing style, and I've got his book on the 480 as well) a bit muddling.

In general, for non-commercial operators, a TSO is neither a necessary nor sufficient condition to install something in an aircraft. There are darned few things that outright require a TSO (the ELT and an IFR-legal GPS are about it). Further, just because it has a TSO, doesn't necessarily make it OK to install.

A TSO approval does however mean it meets some standard that is considered acceptable (whch may make the process for your particular aircraft easier) as well as it implies the part is legally manufactured for (standard) certificated aircraft (there are two steps to being able to install something in a plane: the part must be legally produced in itself, and it must be in compliance with your type certificate, an STC, or other data acceptable to the administrator, depending on how many drinks he's had that day).
    Last edited by FlyingRon; 02-10-2012 at 10:00 AM.