Thread: Maintenance Manual

Maintenance Manual

I recently ran across something new to me. A local Lancair Evolution builder told me that the Riverside FSDO required him to present and get approved a maintenance manual for his airplane before they would allow a DAR to issue him an airworthiness certificate for his plane. I have looked at the latest version of Order 8130.2G and can see no such requirement. The EAA experts tell me they know of no such requirement. Has anyone else had such a requirement imposed on them? Is this something special for turbine airplanes? Did the FSDO just make this up? Inquiring minds want to know.

Dave Prizio

FSDO Requirement

I would advise you to immediately contact your FAA REGIONAL Flight Standards Division office and ask to speak to a SUPERVISOR. Explain your problem and ask that they inform the local FSDO of the correct procedure. Don't buy the local's poor information.

Is this something special for turbine airplanes?

Okay, here ya go.

His operating limitations will require an approved maintenance/inspection program. Lancair has a program he can copy.

The latest copy of 8130 I have is 8130.2F chg. 3. This is from paragraph 153, I'm guessing it will be about the same in version G.

NOTE: Limitations 24 and 25 will be issued in lieu of limitations 22 and 23 for turbine-powered amateur-built aircraft.

This aircraft must not be operated unless it is inspected and maintained in accordance with an inspection program selected, established, identified, and used as set forth in FAR 91.409(e) through (h). This inspection must be recorded in the aircraft logbook and maintenance records.

Inspections must be recorded in the aircraft logbook and maintenance records showing the following, or a similarly worded, statement: “I certify that this aircraft has been inspected on [insert date] in accordance with the scope and detail of the [identify program, title] FSDO-approved program dated ________, and found to be in a condition for safe operation.” The entry will include the aircraft’s total time-in-service (cycles if appropriate), and the name, signature, certificate number, and type of certificate held by the person performing the inspection.
    Last edited by martymayes; 02-08-2012 at 04:36 PM.

Maintenance Manual

You're right. I missed it the first time through. This is only for turbines. Thanks for the assist.

Dave Prizio