Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flying with Type II diabetes

Directed at Dr Pinnell,

I'm treading lightly and my question is sincere. I'm not trying to say anyone is too heavy. My question is, if you keep your weight down low can Type II diabetes still get you? I had an Uncle lose his medical years but I have to admit he was very heavy. I have always felt paranoid about Type II diabetes getting me.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RickFE View Post
    Directed at Dr Pinnell,

I'm treading lightly and my question is sincere. I'm not trying to say anyone is too heavy. My question is, if you keep your weight down low can Type II diabetes still get you? I had an Uncle lose his medical years but I have to admit he was very heavy. I have always felt paranoid about Type II diabetes getting me.

Until the Doc replies, let me answer with my own experience. Like you and many others, I too thought that Diabetes and large weight were linked as some kind of absolute. Not true. I'm 5' 10", 168 pounds and was diagnosed with type 2 last year.

Hi: No need to tread lightly. For the most part type II diabetes is found in people who are overweight. It has a high relationship to obesity. But, having said that, I also have type II diabetics who have a relatively normal BMI. Just saw one in the office about 5 minutes ago. Had a patient some time ago who was a horrible diabetic and used to play pro football for an east coast team. He did not have any extra weight on him at all. My dad was type II and he had a little belly but not much. It is unfortunately an equal opportunity disease. The best way to avoid it is keep your weight down, exercise regularly. But sometimes that doesn't even work. Greg