Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 17 with my training wings

Ryan, congratulations, keep up the good work.
    Who owns the T-6 that you got to fly? That is a great ADVANCED trainer, when you get to that stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    Who owns the T-6 that you got to fly? That is a great ADVANCED trainer, when you get to that stage.
    There is actually four T-6 aircraft based on my field, Its really an awesome site when they roll the hanger doors back, and to see them 4 birds sitting there. The guy that owns it, his name is Bobby Jonte, he's a airshow pilot, very awesome guy. Awesome pilot!

Congratulations, Ryan! It sounds like you're doing great and having a ball. You'll definitely remember that initial solo the rest of your life. Keep up the great work!
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

I still have half a year until I meet the age restriction on solo flight . I''ll probably solo in a C150, but my favorite ride was in a Champ. I started out with gliders but there's just not enough activity. My dad started his flight training after I did and almost has his PPL.

I wish somebody would give me a ride in a Texan! There are plenty of warbirds in my area, but everyone's afraid of getting sued.

Last, NOT ALL AIRPLANES ARE METAL! Sure there's pure aluminum monocoque structures and fabric jobs, but my heart belongs to composites. Think about it! I'm building a Long-EZ, and I've got to say that I would've never been able to follow the plans to something like a Wag-Aero Sport trainer and I certainly don't have the wallet for an RV. Follow the build at notsoez891.blogspot.com!

Good Luck!

To update, because I haven't for a while!!

I currently have 19.8 hours of flight time, and I'm doing my last flight lessons this weekend at 0900 satuday!

This last lesson is a mock check ride, and its with my flight instructors partner, which he has over 25k hours of flight time, he's a pretty decent pilot if you asked me.

I also took my written test today, and made a 88, the only reason my score was so low is because I went through my questions after i finished all them, and changed a few i wasn't sure about... (Pro Tip - use your first answer or guess)

Im planning to do my check ride next week, or the week after! I will be sure to post back and let you guys know how it goes!!

Best of luck for the checkride, Ryan. Looking forward to hearing we've got another licensed pilot!
    Eric Page
    Map of Landings

Ryan, you could almost divide pilots into two classes; those who think an 88 on the written test is good enough, after all it is B+, and then there are those pilots who really have high standards and want to know it all. Glad to see that you are in the latter group, but to be a little more exact there are some things about flying that are good to know,and some things that or life saving vital to know.

I have done it! I am officially a sport pilot certificate holder!

Im proud to say that I passed my check ride on Thursday morning. It was quite an interesting day.

Woke up at 5:30, called weather brief, finished my X-country planning, and headed out to the airport. My DPE was supposed to arrive at 8 but didn't, so my flight instructor called him, and my DPE wrote the wrong time in his schedule book, and said he would leave as soon as possible to get to my airport... which sucked, because he was over an hour and a half away. He called a little bit later, and said he would be there in 20 minuets.. and decided to fly instead of driving!

This was a big relief, because my anxiety was off the charts by this time. We got started as soon as he got there. The oral went well, no problems, he shot me a few confusing questions, but I looked them up and had no problems. Then after about 45 minuets, he said lets go fly! That was a huge relief, Because I knew I was half way there by that point. Once we pre-flighted the plane, we hoped it, and started our cross country flight. I arrived to one of the checkpoints along the route no problem, and we did a diversion to another airport about 15 minuets away, one we knew we were on course for it, we broke away and started the air maneuvers. All went perfect and within limits except slow flight, the density altitude was unfortunately bad that day, and I didn't add enough power to stay within limits. My examiner Carroll was very forgiving, and let me try it again. I added more power this time, and everything kept within limits! We were back off to the airport for a few landings now.

Once we got back to the field, he told me to do a basic 3 point landing, which I pulled off flawlessly, it was one of my best landings yet, and he complimented me on the smoothness of it. Then we did a short field landing, and I told him I was going to land on the 2nd strip after the numbers, I touched down EXACTLY at the beginning of that strip, and he said GREAT JOB! and said lets head back to the ramp. I was so excited because I felt I had passed, but I asked if we were going to be doing any wheel landings!? Big mistake... He said okay! Lets do one and see how it goes.... so I climbed back into the pattern, and set up for a wheel landing. I don't have a problem doing them... Its just the fact that I have only done about 8 of them so far. I came in on the approach, and set the wheels down, and pinned the tail down once we lost the airspeed. It was beautiful.

As soon as we exited the active runway, I asked him if I was able to record this flight as Pilot in command time (wondering if I passed) and he said you sure do! Great job!

I got so excited, I almost forgot I was still taxing the plane! We talked about the flight a little, and he said I was one of the most pleasant flight test experiences in a while, he said I acted very professional, and knew all my required information. I felt like gold at this moment, All the hard work, time, and money I have put into this have paid off, and I am a certified pilot. It was the absolutely the best feeling in the world.

I called pretty much everyone I knew, and had to tell the world of my accomplishment!
    I was able to get my flight instructor to take my picture, This is the picture. I wanna say thanks to everyone here for the advice and stories they shared with me. Its been the best experience of my life, and I'm not stoping here! Starting PPL training in the next few months!

Name:  RYAN-1.jpg
Views: 545
Size:  93.0 KB

Me with my first passenger as pilot in command (My aunt) after we did a stall
    Name:  Screen Shot 2012-07-29 at 12.16.26 AM.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  19.8 KB

Cool shot she took of me flying
    Name:  pilot.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  80.3 KB

How did this go 21 hours with no replies?!?!

CONGRATS, RYAN!!! Welcome to the world of licensed pilots! Keep on flying and learning; there's lots more fun to be had.
    Eric Page
    Map of Landings

Thanks Eric! It's a great feeling! I have a whole list of people to take up flying! Life is good!