Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 17 with my training wings

Name:  426067_3465269479806_1513100002_3125221_1684387269_n.jpg
Views: 650
Size:  57.0 KB IM a big flight sim junkie, and won a logitech G940 on ebay for less then half price, i only paid 142$
    I got it today and hooked it up, the force feedback is amazing, you can feel the bumps in the runway, the wind hitting the plane, stalls, everything. its so cool to fly with this setup!

Another update.. Had a flight lesson this past weekend, We worked on crosswind flying and slips.

My flight instructor was very impressed with my performance, and I credit my knowledge to Flight Simulator X and the abbility to make it so realistic!

Next up, we start landings and crosswind landings!

Just another update,
    I had a wonderful weekend, Spend 10 hours up at my local airfield, and did some awesome things. I washed two planes (My flight instructors champ, and my good buddys cessna 120) and made 250 bucks washing them, to help pay for flight lessons. After all that, I had a flight lessons, and worked on landings, and pattern work, which I have improved on alot. So now I have 8 hours of flight training.

After all that, me and a few pilots had a break up at the FBO building. A guy has a T-6 Plane up at the airport, and he was getting it out of the hanger to go for a flight. We went out to talk to him, and help him get the plane ready for flight. My good buddy asked him if he had room for a passenger, and was like, sure hop in! but my buddy then pushed me ahead and made me strap in to the plane!! My head was rushing, I had never flown a big plane like this, and it was a fast plane. I was so excited.

We got everything together, taxied over to the runway, and took off, stayed in ground effect till the end of the runway, then pulled back, and took off straight up into the sky!!

we climbed to 3000 feet, and he told me I have the controls, so I took over, and did some smooth turns around the big clouds that were out. The plane flew so smooth and fluid. Then he took over again, and showed me some Acro! It was incredible, flying upside down and doing loops and rolls. He walked me through a full loop, then gave it a shot. It was so weird to fly upside down and make the plane go through that, but felt so awesome. We climbed to about 10,000 feet, and did some rolls with the canopy open, because it was warm in the plane. After realizing that I was almost 2 miles above the ground, with only a harness holding me in from falling to the ground, was thrilling. It was so cool to experience, and fly a vintage warbird, It flew so differently then the little champ I fly. We also did a high speed low pass over over a closed airport, which was incredible. Being 20 feet above the ground, going 210 miles per hour.. there no other feeling like it.
    Name:  20120324_115546.jpg
Views: 1466
Size:  37.6 KBName:  20120324_121430.jpg
Views: 1162
Size:  38.0 KBName:  20120324_121424.jpg
Views: 1158
Size:  18.0 KBName:  20120324_121136.jpg
Views: 1162
Size:  31.8 KB
    Attachment 0

Flight simulator X is good for learning navigation, and using the instruments for IRF flying, and basic flying skills how the plane could handle. For a more realistic flying simulator, X Plane 10 has FSX beat by a mile, so much more realistic in the way the plane handles

Another update, if anyone is actually still reading this thread!

I Soloed yesterday, as of April 14, 2012 at 9:04 am!

It was a normal lessons, we did a good amount of landings and emergency approach situations. After a while, we taxied back to the Hanger, and I though the lessons was over.. But boy what I wrong! My CFI told me that I was to do 3 take off and landings solo! He gave me a few tips, but I didn't process anything he said, Because the word solo kept repeating in my head. I only have 9 hours of flight training. Every take off and landing in the champ went flawlessly, and so smooth. It was such a joy, pleasure, and wonder to be able to do it all by my self! I still, have that mile wide smile on my face. Once I got back down to earth, my pilot buddies cut the back of my shirt off, and they are gonna fix it up, and frame it for the FBO building!

Blue skies and tailwind!
    -Ryan

Name:  0414020941.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  81.6 KB

Let me be the first to congratulate you Ryan! I got started as a young pup also, it's great to hear about your experiences. May all your winds be tail, except on takeoff and landing. :-)

Jeff

Major congrats, my man!! There will never be anything like your first solo - you have crossed a major milestone. Welcome to the club!!
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania

Thanks everyone! I have passed the point of no return, Flying will always and forever be part of my life. Once my buddy finishes framing and drawing up on my shirt tail, I will be sure to post a picture, for my next solo, I will have a goPro camera and record it for all to see!

The camera will be nice but just remember your first and only task is to FLY THE AIRPLANE !!
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania

Hi Ryan! Major congratulations on your first solo! You've hit the nail on the head that it is the point of no return. Leonardo Da Vinci said it best,

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return."