Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 17 with my training wings

Happy 17 with my training wings

Hey everyone!

Im new here, and new to the world of flying, so im gonna introduce myself for a bit.

My name is Ryan Turiak, Highschool Senior, minuimun wage paying job as a cashier.

Flying is my dream, always has been, always will be. I remember when I was young, I would look up at every plane that passed over head amazed at the ability to fly through the air.

now many years later.. I've started flight lessons, with my local instructor at Woodward Field (KCDN) in Camden, South Carolina.

This is really a dream come true, flying is my passion, and its what I plan to include for my future ocupation. I have flowen with my neighbor (Privot pilot) and with a few other pilots at my local EAA chapter 1132. I have realised finaly that I can start lessons, and fly by my self! Again, I get paid minuimum wage, and all of my paychecks go straight to flight lessons, but its worth it more then anything else. I have never wanted something more then the freedom of flight.

I have been training in a Aeronica Champ, and currently have 2 hours of flight training. I believe I have progressed alot from where I started, and plan to recieve my sports pilot certification by the end of the summer!

Im going to update this thread constantly as I progress and move along in my lessons, ground school, check flight, and more!

Thanks for reading, and nice meeting everyone,

Congrats Ryan on the flying lessons. Good luck with your flying dreams.

Thanks!
    I really hope to build my own airplane one day.

There could be no better feeling then taking a bunch of metal, putting it together, and then flying it for the first time.. It would be exhilarating!

I always thought is would be very cool to build my own plane, but unfortunately my work schedule and family responsibilities prevented it from being a realistic persuit for me. Being an airplane owner has been the next best thing though.

Congrats on starting your training, Ryan. I'll look forward to seeing your updates as you progress.
    Dave Sterling
    1957 PA22-150/160
    N6929D
    Website

Welcome to the club, Ryan. You are learning in a great little airplane. Best wishes on your trip to fulfilling your dream. If there is anything we can do to help (other than loaning you money ) don't be afraid to ask. Other than talking about their frightening experiences, pilots mostly love to give advice. And remember the Prime Directive -- Have Fun!
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania

Congrats on starting your training! We need more young people involving themselves in aviation!

I am also a high school senior and just recently turned 18, soloed at 16, and got my license last winter at 17. And its great to see that you are training in a fun plane... I did my training in a Pacer (Real pilots fly taildraggers! )... I really understand your situation of paychecks going straight to lessons, I got a job making pizzas just for avgas!

Keep working towards your license, it can be hard at times but its very rewarding!

Hey Ryan,
    I wish you luck on your training. I am a Junior in high school and have started lessons, I currently have around 6 hours. It will be cool to watch you progress since we are both in similar situations! I have always, and still do, watch the sky amazed as planes fly overhead. It is really neat to have found someone who is just a year older than myself, that is also taking flight lessons in high school, and shares the same first name as me. Hopefully we can keep up with each others progress on our journeys. I would love to achieve my private pilots license before I am out of high school. The only problem will be paying for all the lessons. I allready have two jobs, but they are just in the summertime. I hope to pick up another job, just so I can get back up in the air!
    -Ryan

Ryan,

Recomended reading "See How It Flies" available free on the internet. After you get the private read "Naval Aviators Handbook". Enjoy and be safe.

Wink

Hey all! I finaly was able to get back on and check on your post updates! thanks for all the advice, I have another lessons this weekend, My CFI is going to teach me how to properly wash and detail a plane, and will pay me 100$ every time I do, and I'm going to try to get some other business washing planes to make some more $$.

I am in the Sportys recreational pilot ground school, which is free to me because of young eagle flights!

The best advice I can give for anyone looking to get into flying is, to be up at the airport as much as possible, and getting to know contacts and other people. I joined my local EAA chapter, and have many pilot friends, so I can get as much airtime as possible!

I will let you guys know how my lessons goes tomorrow, Gotta get better at landing... My first try i almost ran off the runway from over correcting on the rudder.. guess you gotta learn somehow.