Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's on your Oshkosh bucket list?

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar

Question What's on your Oshkosh bucket list?

If you've been here before, or even if you haven't, what are the things you've always wanted to do? If you've only flown commercially and / or driven, maybe you've always wanted to fly-in? If you've stayed in the dorms or a hotel, maybe you've always wanted to camp? Maybe you're hoping to start a project and want to go to a workshop on welding or fabric covering... Maybe your wish list is broader or more unusual, and you'd like to, say, flag down Paul in "Red One" and hitch a ride along the flightline, or get your picture taken in the cockpit of your favorite warbird / antique / homebuilt / what have you?

What do you think? What's on your "must do" list? Or, if you've done it already, what would you tell a friend they needed to put on theirs?

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Just getting to go for once would be nice. Do some of the stuff instead of hearing about it second hand

The last time I flew up for AirVenture I flew into Austin-Straubel in Green Bay and commuted back and forth to Oshkosh each day. This year I'd like to fly into KOSH and camp next to my plane in the North 40.

Now that my friend has completed his RV6 and seldom flies his 182, we may just camp in the Homebuilt section instead of the N40 this year. I've been wanting to attend the welding seminars for a few years now. Maybe even build one of those wood wing ribs, too. Even after 8 OSH visits, there are still new things to do.

Hal, I am so glad you ask that question. I have always enjoyed watching the mass formations of T-28s, T-34s, AT-6s and others aircraft take to the skies every year at AirVenture. It would be fantastic if I could fly my Cub in a formation with other Cubs for the 75thanniversary of the J-3 Cub this year.

I can think of about two hundred other Cub owners who are ready to fly with me. We would only need 20 minutes of time for us to pass by everyone on the field if you let us fly downwind. The other way might take a bit longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bryan View Post
    ....Or, if you've done it already, what would you tell a friend they needed to put on theirs?
    For any long time hard core attendees, having accomplished two of my own "Oshkosh bucket list items" I would say this:

1. Shoot the airshow from "The Ditch"
    2. Get a tour of the ATC facilities (Tower, Fisk, runway)

Each requires a press pass, lots of hard work, a bit of luck and good timing, and is worth everything you put into it. I once believed those two items could not be within my reach, and proved myself wrong on both counts.

Yes - I made personal sacrifices and had to work very hard for each opportunity.

And each is an experience I will remember the rest of my life!
    Robbie Culver
    Sonex #1517
    Taildragger
    AeroVee
    Currently working on the wings
    Chicagoland

Design and build an airplane, fly it there, and camp under the wing.

Although I doubt that I'll make it for this year since I'm starting work on my homebuilt (yes, that term doesn't bother me!) at the end of this month, flying my homebuilt to Oshkosh and camping near the wing, but not under since its a low wing, for the week. I've been coming to Oshkosh for over thirty years on and off. Mostly on, but those pesky wars got in the way for those of us who were in the military.

The closest I've gotten to flying in was one week before in an Archer where they already had us landing on the colored dots on runway 9, and another year on a Friday before the official start in a C-172 to give a friend a ride home after he flew his Glass Goose in for the convention when I didn't realize that they closed the airport at 8 PM (neither did he) and I "just" made it out before closing without a second to spare.

I'm waiting to hear "Welcome to Oshkosh" in my headphones.
    Bill

With so much to see and do at Oshkosh, how could I possibly choose just one or two things. I want to see and do it All !!!! To those who have not flown in to Oshkosh, You absolutely must do this ! It was the most exciting thing I have done in an airplane ! Well there was that one other thing but we wont get into that. Just read ,the Notam and go for it. It is not hard but it is truly a thrill.Randy

I'd love to restore a round engine cabin Waco and be able to park in the first row South of the Theater in the Woods.

I *have* landed at the show as a 100 hr pilot flying a Piper Tomahawk on a 650 mile XC. I even stuck the landing in a pretty stiff direct X-wind.

Also, I've been there several times in the RV-6 I built. Amazing feeling. Camping under the wing in "Area 51" is pretty good too.