Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: You might be hopelessly addicted to aviation if....

You might be hopelessly addicted to aviation if....

...you are looking at places to honeymoon in Hawaii and the fact that one of the bed and breakfasts overlooks a major airport makes you want to stay there more than the stunning sunsets and the lovely oceanview they advertise.

Anyone else have some to share?
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

You measure fuel efficiency in your truck by gallons per hour.

A fancy twin lands at the field and your first thought is "f---ing Mac!"

When someone asks how the weather is outside you respond with wind speed, ceiling and visibility.

You actually turn on CSPAN thirty minutes before the FAA speaks before a Congressional Committee, and DVR it in case you miss something.

Your ball cap costs six bucks and the sunglasses cost six hundred.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

When someone asks how the weather is outside you respond with wind speed, ceiling and visibility.
    ....or if you call the local ASOS/AWOS to get that information. Double if you have all the local ones stored in your cell phone.

A fancy twin lands at the field and your first thought is "f---ing Mac!"
    Around here, it's exactly the opposite. We see a taildragger, it's an odd day.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

EAA Staff / Moderator Charlie Becker's Avatar
    You have more than one homebuilt under construction in your basement.
    You have more than one aircraft engine in your basement.
    Your dog is named after an aviation hero, company or tool.
    Over 70% of your clothing has an EAA logo on it.
    You have already scheduled your vacation for the last week in July.

Guilty of all but the last....somebody has to be responsible during AirVenture!
    Last edited by Charlie Becker; 02-06-2012 at 08:18 AM.
    Sonex flight testing complete. Building a Super Cub clone, check it out at www.facebook.com/piratecub

In a house with my laptop.....somewhere in Collierville, TN
    I was born into flying. My mom learned to fly from my dad while pregnant with me. She became a CFI. Dad was a WWII B-24 pilot and 20,000 hour ag pilot. I grew up with antiques and homebuilts and thought it was normal.

Today, I own a Cub and a Swift and share a hangar with my brother who also owns a Cub and just sold his PT-26. The walls are lined with aircraft engines and parts. We fly most weekends and talk almost exclusively flying when we are together, much to out wives chagrin.

We are both planning a week's vacation to fly our Cubs to Oshkosh. Both cubs have been in the family since the late 60s. We are both always looking at airplanes to buy despite having for only one more plane.
    Jim Rice
    Wolf River Airport (54M)
    Collierville, TN

N4WJ 1994 Van's RV-4 (Flying)
    N3368K 1946 Globe GC-1B Swift (Flying)--For Sale
    N7155H 1946 Piper J-3C Cub (Flying)

Quote Originally Posted by steveinindy View Post
    ....or if you call the local ASOS/AWOS to get that information. Double if you have all the local ones stored in your cell phone.
    Guilty as charged! I don't think we would be here if we were not addicted,

I would have responded to this sooner, but I spent the day taking a neighbor out in the club Archer. The weather here this winter has been GREAT, and I've been flying as much as my budget will allow.

Joe

If you park your car outside so you can keep the plane parts in the garage.
    If your vacation requests for the last week of July go through 2015
    If you talk about your significant other in terms of her aircraft, ratings, building skills, flying skills, and/or job in the military.
    If you describe your friends to other friends regarding where the "training wheel" is on their airplane(s).
    and the list goes on....

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by steveinindy View Post
    ...you are looking at places to honeymoon in Hawaii and the fact that one of the bed and breakfasts overlooks a major airport makes you want to stay there more than the stunning sunsets and the lovely oceanview they advertise.
    That was exactly why my wife and I went to St. Martin on our honeymoon!

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

If your dining room table holds your completed horizontal stabilizer until it's ready for mating with the fuselage.
    If your spouse says, "Gee, Hon, why don't we sell our house and move into the hangar?"
    If your family can sit around the dinner table and have entire conversations using nothing but acronyms. (ATC son, pilot son, soon-to-be pilot wife, and me).

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton