Thread: anybody building a skyraider or ridge runner out there

anybody building a skyraider or ridge runner out there

I am considering one for a project and would like to hear from anyone who has built or flown one .

Thanks
    bbuzard.

I bought my Skyraider kit in 1998. Spent about 550 enjoyable hours building it. I like the folding wing feature and being able to install the doors and windows when it gets cold. The tundra tires are great for landing on gravel bars or areas that tend to be a bit on the rough side. I also use them in the winter to land and take off on packed snowmobile trails. It is a very well designed kit, mine has about 330 hours on it now and has held up very well. Get some time in an Aeronca Champ or something similar and then do a a bunch of taxiing on the ground until you feel comfortable with the way it handles. It handles better on the grass then on pavement. Get several hours in it on the grass and you shouldn't have any trouble on the pavement. The dual heel brakes are also a great feature when it comes to ground handling. All in all it was a fun plane to build and with its great stol abilities you can get into and out of some amazing places with it. The only reason I would sell it would be to buy something like say a kitfox, at times it would be nice to have an extra seat. If you are looking for an ultralight that looks like handles like and flies like a real plane then you should have a lot of fun with a Skyraider or Ridgerunner. I hope it works out for you to get one.

thanks Tom C. for the info and advice. I hope to get to Idaho this summer to check em out. I believe they both make two seaters now.

bbuzard

Yes I have built one. Bought the kit in 2000, still have it although its for sale now because I've built another E-LSA. A few years ago I replaced the engine with a HKS-700E 60 H.P. 4 stroke that now has 90 hours on it. Its painted yellow like a CLUB with a black stripe. Has electric trim, tundra tires, warp drive prop, trailer plus skis that need to be finished. Have a small hangar that only one plane can fit in. Therefore I rent space in another hangar to store it. Space is the problem, therefore I must sell it, I have no other option. It flys great, I will miss it.

Thanks Edward....do you have any pics ? Where is the plane located? I think the hks is a good fit for the skyraider... All the best

[FONT=garamond, 'new york', times, serif]I seek also a Light Sport Aircraft as Sky Raider. I hold an experience on the Avid Flyer, 15 years one 3 years ago. This is a great plane who gives best itself with an engine 2 stroke, I think. I don't know the Sky Raider [FONT=garamond, 'new york', times, serif]but I am curious to be able to test in flight. [/FONT]At time, [/FONT][FONT=garamond, 'new york', times, serif]If I am introduced into the discussion it is because I seek Sky [/FONT][FONT=garamond, 'new york', times, serif]Raider two seater.
    I do really all that I can to try to find one in this moment. Thanks

[/FONT]

Betrays by translator Internet, I write again the post here :
    I seek also a Light Sport Aircraft as Sky Raider. I hold an experience on the Avid Flyer, 15 years and 3 years ago. This is a great plane who gives best itself with an engine 2 stroke, I think. I don't know the Sky Raider, but I'm curious to be able to test in flight. At time, if I am introduced into the discussion it is because I seek Sky Raider town seat. I have an urgent need be able to still fly simply. Thanks.

I have flown the factory demo ship years ago and liked it very much. Horizontal stabilizer could be slightly larger and tail incidence angle needed adjusting. This may be an issue if a larger (heavier) engine is installed. 1 1/2 place is a good combination but stuck between UL and LSA. Sure woould be nice if it were UL EW limits. Also saw it fly with the Hexidyne engine. Nice combo if the engine were developed and practical. Check out the Belight ULs They have some good sale prices. I have not had the opertunity to fly the Belight.

I read that the surface of the horizontal stabilizer had been increased on Super Sky Raider. It was his a point which it was necessary to improve. I find as regrettable as it does not have there a horizontal stabilizer which one can regulate the angle in flight, in order to be able to cancel the efforts which it is necessary to exert on the axis of pitching, "in flight to stabilize on the trajectory". Trimming of control surfaces who would take all his useful on a two-seater out of tandem, which in addition being more prone to the variation of the center of gravity. It is true that it would be necessary to re-examine the design of the horizontal stabilizer, but that would really contribute to develop these small machines to make plane of exception of them. Otherwise, I wonder how one can realize in full flight which a stabilizer is not sufficiently effective. Is that translated how ?

The bilight or Bilit to fly simply indeed, one could say that. It precedes what small can-being the ultralight one of tomorrow since I believe that it uses composite materials in the manufacturing of the wing. This being, I attach a significant portion to the a estheticism and do not can deny that SkyRaider is one of more succeeds of small tandem.

I seek 1 place plus 1/2 or 3/4 places, not to take on board a person, but for my puppy. A Kaninchen Dachshund. To be able occasionally to take on board the aunt of camp-site and with me small trip and the itinerant camp-site. The general aviation airfield are comparatively numerous in France and if one adds all Ultralight airfield and the private airfield who are accessible after having requested the authorization of the owner, the cows bound for the sailplanes also with a special publication book, one is practically sure of being able to go every where. There would remain the fallow which are rather numerous or the country lane in worst of the cases. There are even very picturesque places where one perhaps received with food and the home. Indeed, the search of performances or effectiveness is not only in question, but there, I deviate a little from the initial subject.

It is sure that Hexadyne engine with its injection seems to be an engine which deserves all our attention. 3 Gallons/h and 45 HP with 75%, it is not comparable with Rotax 582, from any point of view. This engine really seems very well and me I rediscover at the same time.