Thread: Gaskets for A-40-2 Continental

Gaskets for A-40-2 Continental

Anyone know where I can order a gasket set for a Continental A-40-2?
    Photo attached for those who have not seen on in a while.

Joseph W. Lilley
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Joe,

Have you tried the Continental Motor tech support phone line? The TCM guys are very knowledgeable and give good advice. I went thru TCM factory training a couple years ago and was very impressed.

Cheers,
    Kurt

Kurt,
    Haven't tried them yet.
    Thanks for the suggestion.
    Joe

Modernizing the A-40

If you are building up a Continental A-40-2 suggest you try to upgrade it to A-40-4 standards. I also suggest you modernize it per the Continetal bulletin which I think is numbered 39-11.....I do not have it handy but I provided it to the Cub Club last year. This will improve oil pressure and to lubricate the cylinder walls. It makes a very big difference. More power and smoother running while better cooling is achieved. I seem to recall Robert W. "Mr. A-40" Thompson (now deceased) advising me in a letter that the A-40-4 was very definitely the version to have. "My" E-2 has the modernized A-40-4. It is a delightful little engine...now in a museum. I understand that one of the earlier A-40 versions apparently had a negative reputation. I am sorry that at the moment I cannot be more helpful...and I am very sorry to sound a note of caution in this matter.
    I am assuming you are hoping to fly behind his engine. Many years ago when I contacted Continental they said they had no A-40 informaton on file that could help. Hopefully this has changed. EAA might have more information on file, Safety first.

A-40-2

Garth

Our 1932 E-2 was #26 and is our museum (Western North Carolina Air Museum)
    we are keeping it as original as possible.
    The Cub is in the process of a full scale recovering and restoration. You can check out the progress to date on our facebook page.
    Will not be flown but we will run and taxi it around during our annual air fair.
    Have checked with Continental as Kurt suggested they pointed me in the same type direction as you.
    Thanks for the suggestion Cub Club is a wealth of info.
    Going to try Fresno Airparts Co. to see if they might have anys of the gaskets needed.

Joseph W. Lilley

I think that the tapes for the fabric should be "frayed".......I understand that pinking shears were not used back then. The turtle deck was bolted to the frame, but over the years mechanics welded them onto the frame as this was simpler when recovering. Mine still had the original rings and bolts to install the turtledeck to the fuselage...not exactly on the engine topic but worth noting. Original altimeter was a Zenith "Height" meter...and the compass if used would be an Aeromarine...and a Johnson airspeed mounted on a wing strut (if installed).
    I was extrememly fortunate in haveing a very orginal aircraft....even the original wing struts had a very shallow minor axis...and a wide major axis...quite3 different from the J-2 struts.
    You have great little project and should feel blessed.

A-40-2

Garth

The deck on ours was already welded.
    Check out our Johnson airspeed after restoration in
    the attached couple of photos.

Joseph W. Lilley

Name:  E2 Airspeed After.JPG
Views: 1169
Size:  65.6 KBName:  Entire fuselage.jpg
Views: 1010
Size:  98.9 KB
    Last edited by joseph W. Lilley; 02-12-2012 at 01:41 PM. Reason: spelling

Memories

Sure brings back memories!

htrag1@gmail.com

Might be able to find many photos if needed.