Thread: without ppl?

without ppl?

hello all.I have started flying,coming from RC models and FPV.I have greatly enjoyed first 8 lessonsin a Cessna 172 Diamond Katana (favourite!) and Robin. I am not sure about taking the PPL as I don't see
    that I will have enough use for it.What options areopen to me?I have found flying comes quite naturally and i love it. I dont want to own a plane, unless it is electric powered, and enjoy flying a variety of aircraft. Is there ,in Europe a partial license? Can I fly solo as a student? Thanks for any suggestions. Incidentily i am 61.

You may want to consider Sport Pilot. Here: http://www.rodmachado.com/?p=64

Whereabouts in Europe? There is the NPPL in the UK. Have you spoken to your instructor(s) about your options? They should be able to give you the best information on what options there are available to you. Have you tried out gliding?

alternatives

Thanks both. The" sport "license is very attractive; I live in France so will follow it up here. I do do some gliding.

Peter,

I posted your question to a friend on another forum who is a pilot & resident in France & got this response......

The sport licence doesn't exist in France in the sale way as it does in the UK.

I'd suggest a number of options if he likes flying, but doesn't want the expense of a full PPL in EASA (France). To get a French licence PPL, you'll need to have a very decent command of the French language..;and then unless you get an English language validation it isn't useable outside French speaking airspace.

What about a microlite licence. (ULM) Cheaper to obtain and maintain.

There is also a limited licence for local club flying. (Brevet de base) (From 15 years old) You are limited to 30kms around home field, day VMC and if I recall no pax. This requires about 6 hours dual, 4 hours solo and having passed the theory tests...In practice it takes a little longer to be comfortable...but cost wise around €3,000 it is a good step towards a full private licence (Brevet de pilote)....in France that also only allows day VMC, as you have to get an additional night rating for night VMC.

The full PPL (from 17 years old) requires - 45 hours total of which at least 25 dual instruction, 10 supervised solo. I'd budget between €6,000-€8,000 to obtain.

Flying costs in the GA aircraft are much more expensive in France than in USA. A not new ( Cessna 172 with instructor runs around €200+/hour)...even a C150 can be at €150 with instructor.

http://www.ffa-aero.fr/siteffaprod_w...Formations.awp

In French the main site for info.

For the ULM, and these can be from a nice GA type aircraft to a motorised hang-glider.....

http://www.ffplum.com/

You are looking at €1,500-2,000 to get a licence, and have limitation of only 1 pax.

You need to be at least 15 years old, and have passed the ULM Theory exam, then you only have to pass a practical on the ground and in the air with an approved instructor. No minimum hours. To carry a pax you have to have gained 40 hours flight and then pass another flight test.

http://www.ffplum.com/le-brevet-de-pilote.html

So there you have it. There is also gliding....another good way to get the sensation / fix, without costing a fortune.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for that, very useful! My French may be up to it, but my pocket not. I had thought of being a permanent student, and the Brevet de Base sounds appropriate. I will follow it up.
    Yes I have thought a lot about ultra-lights, and especially electric powered as I have a lot of experience of this in models. This will change sport flying radically (cost, simplicity, quality of flying, etc) but the developers are not being quite clear about the batteries - Lithium polymer are light and powerful but don't have a long life and are not very consistent, so in the end expensive still.