Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Keepers of the Flame 1918-1929"

"Keepers of the Flame 1918-1929"

Holy crap. That's freaking awesome. Just out of curiosity how much would another one of those cost to make? I have some space in my hangar that could use one of those. By "hangar", I mean "living room".
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

In my diorama now on display at the CASM,"Keepers Of The Flame,1918-1929" I present a list of services offered by a typical company of the time. It is posted on the exterior wall of the dispatch office and was meant to honor Jenny's contribution to early aviation in Canada.In future postings I will follow up on this in greater detail and talk about not only Jenny but other aircraft involved in the development of aviation here in Canada and the US during this era.

John,

Thanks for sharing your beautiful creations. I just finished reading the biography of Elrey Jeppesen and his "little black book" lots of interesting stories about flying back in this period!

Joe

In the pic above there is a sign listing Jenny's contribution to aviation here in Canada before 1934.(and in a more limited role after.)The list is also a list of roles that airplanes played in the US and the world in general by the "Keepers of the Flame".By the word "Keepers " I mean both both men and machines.The world of aviation owes a lot to the airplanes and men of this era.From Kitty Hawk to the moon in 60 odd years would not have been possible without their wonderful and often dangerous contribution.We often here of the myth of the cowboy but these guys actually lived it.Freedom,danger,sleeping in the open under the wing of their airplanes,they did it all and for not much pay or recognition from the public in general.Many WW1 airman accomplished their most thrilling and dangerous missions during this era after the war.Cheers to them all !

Quote Originally Posted by steveinindy View Post
    Holy crap. That's freaking awesome. Just out of curiosity how much would another one of those cost to make? I have some space in my hangar that could use one of those. By "hangar", I mean "living room".
    I never really kept a tab on costs.These are all gifts to the CASM in Ottawa.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe LaMantia View Post
    John,

Thanks for sharing your beautiful creations. I just finished reading the biography of Elrey Jeppesen and his "little black book" lots of interesting stories about flying back in this period!

Joe
    Thanks Joe glad you like it.I remember seeing some excerpts from that little black book somewhere.Great stuff !

Tail wheel assembly from a Waco UPF on a Precissi Travel Air.
    Photo from around 1929-1930,photographer unknown.
    Last edited by JohnReid; 02-03-2012 at 08:28 AM.

With the advent of hard surface runways tail wheels and brakes became a necessity.Prior to this time a tail skid provided both friction for stopping power and directional control.It wasn't until the early 30's that they became a popular installation on future aircraft and a much needed modification on the older types.