Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Barrier to student pilot starts

I live in the suburbs of Chicago, IL. About 3 years ago I started to look more and more into the aviation world. I have been to numerous air conventions. I even bought books and got setup with an FBO at KPWK. After a lot of research on instructors, planes and cost, I found this FBO to be the best in my area. After 6 lessons I had to stop because the money was way too much for me right now. I am 30 years old and have a lot of time ahead of me for my love of aviation. I am shocked at how expensive this hobby really is. There are pictures all over the FBO walls showing 18-25 year olds getting their private pilot license. I guess their parents were nicer than mine? And how do they have time to go 3 days a week and keep up with the private pilot syllabus. Maybe I should have gone to Aviation College instead?

Well one day my time will come!

And how do they have time to go 3 days a week and keep up with the private pilot syllabus
    I hate to break it to you but the private pilot curriculum isn't exactly rocket science (at least not until Frank figures out how to mount that RATO system on his Nieuport ).
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

...or you could join the Air Force and learn for free.

Quote Originally Posted by nickndfl View Post
    ...or you could join the Air Force and learn for free.
    You do realize that probably 95% of people in the Air Force are not pilots right? Also, as an Air Force veteran myself, don't count signing your life away for several years as "free" not to mention that you have to earn a 4 year degree before you have a chance of getting selected for initial pilot selection. People gripe about the medical certification standards for civilian pilots should take a look at the military version.

Suggesting that someone go into the military to become a pilot is a bit like saying that one should go to college, finish their degree and then go to medical school just to have a chance to draw blood.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Just imagine how quick you could kill the skiing/boarding recreational industry with the same interest in "someone elses" safety.People do it because it's fun (like flying should be) the risks can be high (sound familiar?) people get hurt often.....even GASP!!! DIE!!
    The "safety" mantra is BS if you ask me, I don't see compassion in such statements about saving some pilot from himself....I see arrogance and people with a control fetish.( I've read your story Steve, and yes you did a good thing that day, not arguing that) I'll believe someone cares about safety for others in aviation when I come across an EAA member actually willing to HELP a new guy,and when I deal with aviators/A/P's that refuse to rip off another fellow aviator. All self honoring lip service.
    Oh, and I agree, a fat wallet does not a capable pilot make, it sure can't hurt though.
    For someone who wants to just fly the ultralite world is still there, and some of them are pretty cool, too!
    We may all end up there before it gets better.