Thread: Purchase of a SuperChief

Purchase of a SuperChief

I am considering the purchase of an Aeronca 11 CC Super Chief. My use of it will be strictly VFR. It has a recent annual and a prebuy inspection of it will be performed by my A&P before a final commitment is made. Some things are needed though, because I want them. First, the aircraft has no com radio (an ICom handheld has filled this need in the past) and, there is an top-mounted antenna cabled into the cockpit where the previous radio was connected. Second there is no VOR and although this may seem a bit old fashioned to some I will require that also. Second, there is no electrical system: therefore no starter. This will have to be added. Third, since the new flying environment will be near a TSRA and travel expected will be near a Class C Airspace, I think there should also be a transponder. These needs do overlap and complicate one another some but I believe are necessary. So, my questions to those qualified to speak to them are:

What electrical system packages are available for this kind of application. And, how much of a burden in terms of weight and, if engine driven, mechanical load would they place on the Continental C-85-8F ? Is it feasible to mount the battery in the firewall forward area ?

Are there wind driven turbines which can drive a generator of sufficient capacity for the above needs ? Do these arrangements constitute a significant aeronautical burden to affect the overall aircraft flying characteristics ?

I am interested in any opines on this but also hope to hear from some who have actually done some or all of them to an aircraft of this kind.

EDGEFLY

A Super Chief is a great airplane, but it may not be the right one for your stated mission.

I don't believe the C85-8F accommodates a starter or an alternator. So that's a problem out of the gate. I think you need a C85-12 for that. -12's are not cheap because....they accommodate starters and alternators.

Wind generators rob aerodynamic performance and probably don't have the "oomph" to supply all of the electricity you're gonna need, given your stated requirements.

Assuming you can find a -12 and your billfold doesn't reject the conversion, think about the useful load of the airplane. Subtract 10 lbs for an alternator and regulator. Subtract 20 lbs for a battery. Subtract 5 pounds for a transponder, encoder, and antenna. Subtract another 5 pounds for the VOR set-up. While you're at it, you might as well add a radio and intercom - figure 5 lbs. Add in another 10 lbs for a starter.

With 55 pounds of additional equipment, does the aircraft meet your mission requirements?

Personally, I'd look for another aircraft if you must have all of these items.

If you really like this airplane, you can fly it inside the mode C veil (but not in the Class C airspace) without a transponder as long as it is a non-electric aircraft. You could learn to hand prop, and you could use a handheld radio and GPS. But you have to decide if you're comfortable with that.

One thing to consider is asking this question on one of the dedicated Aeronca forums.

Here's one:

http://www.joea.com/phpBB2/

I fly a J5A Cub with a handheld ICOM A-24 Comm radio with a nav (VOR) function. Although technically it is not useable for navigation, it can indicate to-from when passing over a VOR. I also have a Garmin 296 GPS velcroed to my panel. The Comm Nav radio and the GPS provide a lot of flight information. I fly below Class B airspace in Seattle all the time. With recent changes to Class B airspace I can go almost anywhere at least 3000 MSL. If I really want to go in Class C airspeace (a tower controlled airport) I call 1 hr in advance and say I'm a non-electric antique aircraft. There usually is no problem in Day VMC. In short it is possible to fly a non-electric antique aircraft with battery powered, portable electronic equipment. Now if you can get used to hand propping, you have no need for the weight, cost and complexity of an electrical system.
    -Joel

My Aeronca 65LA has a mounted Collins Comm Radio and an unknown make Transponder, a hand held Garmin 196 and Nav lights. The whole thing is powered by a battery mounted behind the "baggage compartment". No starter or VOR capability. I can get at least 4 hours of flight out of the battery before recharging with a normal battery charger. Don't let the thrill of hand proping dissuade you from owning a great little airplane.
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania

I'd suggest actually trying out hand propping before you get so adamant about having a starter. Hand propping a Cont 65 should be a cinch ,or should I say a snap, (pun intended). I don't have an Aeronca, but have hand propped the C-90 in my Cub for years; even girls can do it. It starts cold on the first pull 9 times out of 10, might take 2 or 3 pulls if really hot.
    JUST MAKE SURE TO TAKE PRECAUTIONS, FOLLOW COMMON SENSE, AND HAVE THE TAIL TIED DOWN AND/ OR THE WHEELS CHOCKED WHEN YOU START IT; DON'T TAKE DUMB SHORTCUTS, LIKE UNTIEING IT AND HAVING A NON PILOT INSIDE.

You should have not trouble with a handheld com, as long as you have an outside antenea. It works in my Cub. Some handhelds like Sportys even have built in Vors, and there are portable GPS that don't need aircraft power. You are not required to have a transponder in a non electric airplane, but some giders have small battery powered ones I think.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 02-02-2012 at 11:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rosiejerryrosie View Post
    Don't let the thrill of hand proping dissuade you from owning a great little airplane.
    Amen! hand propping becomes part of the whole experience (more about that here)

Comms in a TRSA is optional. You can even fly in Class B with a non-electric airplane (see the CFRs for details). I fly low enough that I'm not interfering with traffic going into KMDT, KLNS, or KCXY.

I use a Sporty's SP-200 handheld and a Whip Antenna (more here). It works as well as a panel mount.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Dan McCormack
    Smoketown, PA (S37)
    N24286, 1940 Aeronca Chief 65-LA (Lycoming O-145-B2)
    CFI
    http://flightmusings.blogspot.com/

Dan, it is so easy and relatively cheap to have at least a handheld radio that I don't see why not. Even if not required, it is good to listen to ATIS before takeoff and especially if going to land at another airport that has ATIS or AWOS. The handheld can also allow you to hear other traffic or call the FBO for fuel etc.
    I use an a Terra in my Cub, that is what it came with. It is a little more powerful than the Sporty's, but has no Vor.
    I tried to use a handheld in different planes with just the whip antenna, but although I could receive ok, the transmit was really weak, and almost unusable.
    You might try yours with a built in antenna and a cable to the handheld. It really works well, at short ranges. That Sporty's is a nice little radio. I carry one as a emergency back up in my Bonanza, and have used it in other planes to listen to an airshow or ATIS, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    Dan, it is so easy and relatively cheap to have at least a handheld radio that I don't see why not. Even if not required, it is good to listen to ATIS before takeoff and especially if going to land at another airport that has ATIS or AWOS. The handheld can also allow you to hear other traffic or call the FBO for fuel etc.
    I use an a Terra in my Cub, that is what it came with. It is a little more powerful than the Sporty's, but has no Vor.
    I tried to use a handheld in different planes with just the whip antenna, but although I could receive ok, the transmit was really weak, and almost unusable.
    You might try yours with a built in antenna and a cable to the handheld. It really works well, at short ranges. That Sporty's is a nice little radio. I carry one as a emergency back up in my Bonanza, and have used it in other planes to listen to an airshow or ATIS, etc.
    I don't think you understood my post, Bill...

I have a Sporty's handheld linked to a whip antenna and have used it to talk to Approach, Class D towers, and at local fields.

As far as listing to ATIS -- very true going into fields where there is ATIS and having the current information is a requirement before contacting ground.

But at S37 (no ASOS/AWOS on field) I just look at the windsock and dial the ground elevation into the altimeter.
    Dan McCormack
    Smoketown, PA (S37)
    CFI

You're right Dan, I guess that when you said "whip antenna" you meant a permanently mounted one on the airplane, like I also have on my Cub. I was thinking that you meant just the portable one that comes with the handheld com.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    You're right Dan, I guess that when you said "whip antenna" you meant a permanently mounted one on the airplane, like I also have on my Cub. I was thinking that you meant just the portable one that comes with the handheld com.
    Yep -- I have an article how to install one here: http://flightmusings.blogspot.com/20...nna-mount.html
    Dan McCormack
    Smoketown, PA (S37)
    CFI