Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need an understanding friend

Quote Originally Posted by bpa2000 View Post
    The mission for such a large aircraft is that nobody has one and it would attract a great amount of attention. My main question is what material to build it from? As for hanger space...well that is a bridge to cross when get the project up an running. I am currently drawing up the concept in a 1 to 1 scale to give others some idea what is on my mind. I personally did not realize the scope of this until I started drawing it out. (anybody know where I can find a 25 FT. french curve?...just kidding) I have no doubt that this will be a tough build...I have no illusions about how long or how much money it would require...It will take a large amount of both of these. If I sound cagey about this...I apologize. I am trying to get help with out letting out to much information.
    Yeah, and by doing so you're making us think you are:
    A. Crazy
    B. Trolling
    C. Lacking in intelligence
    D. Full of ****
    E. Some combination of A, B, C and D.

Give us more specifics or expect more questions and little help.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

The mission for such a large aircraft is that nobody has one and it would attract a great amount of attention.
    That's not the mission. The mission is what it can do, how many passengers, how much cargo, how far, how fast, how high, how short a runway, etc. Only when you define what the aircraft needs to do can you start designing it.

... where I can find a 25 FT. french curve?...
    First get your computer based CAD package working. Then you can find and/or make a french curve of any dimensions desired. For your first assignment:
    • Make a 25 ft. french curve in the CAD program
    • Print the drawings on paper
    • Order Lextran/plexiglass sheets of your desired thickness
    • Cut the pieces using the paper outlines
    • Assemble your 25 ft. french curve

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Gonitzke View Post
    'Nobody has one'...Uh, I can think of dozens, if not hundreds of aircraft that are that size or larger. The question still remains, what is the mission?
    I thought you were going a whole other direction with this - as in, I can think of dozens, if not hundreds of aircraft that nobody else has one. All the ones that took too long to develop, cost too much, performed too little, were just "bad ideas in a can". You name it. You don't have to build to those dimensions to get something unique. Now, unique and can't hide it in a hangar? That's a little harder to do.

One homebuilt that I think would be pretty big/impressive is that scaled-down P-38. Though instead of cramming the 2nd seat in behind the pilot, put some clear parts up front where the guns would go, and maybe get a seat or two in front of the pilot's feet... Maybe end up with 4 in-tandem seating with some "boom lockers" for some payload... Or wasn't there a 2-seater quarter-scale B-17 out there somewhere?
    Name:  P38-2.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  92.9 KB
    Name:  P38-4.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  89.8 KBMight fit a person or two in there - maybe have to scale-down the nose wheel...
    Name:  Mitzi.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  64.6 KB
    Murphy's 13th: Every solution breeds new problems...

http://www.spoonworld.com

I'd go for a scaled down B-25 with a seat in the front behind plexiglass, lower than the pilot.

And yes, I can hear Steve exclaim over the safety of that from here!

Odd engineering question - if one rigged up a transmission to drive two propellors from a single engine one wouldn't technically need a multi-engine rating, correct?
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

I'd go for a scaled down B-25 with a seat in the front behind plexiglass, lower than the pilot.

And yes, I can hear Steve exclaim over the safety of that from here!
    Actually, I'd be right there helping you design it so it would be safety....and so I could get a ride in it.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Hello BPA2000 - lots of opinions about what not to do out there.....everyone has to have a dream I think - that helps to keep us moving forward!! I don't think you are a nut (no more than me!) but I have only build models so far, and a long time ago. I am currently building a Pietenpol that will provide me many years of enjoyment getting to the finished item! Designing an aircraft model is a very challenging and rewarding job that can teach you lots about what will work and what you want.
    There are easier ways to get an idea of the size you are talking about that drawing it 1 to 1! I have started to use Solidworks - a CAD drawing software, and it is great for doing simple and complex drawings, assemblies and complete machines. We could do an outline drawing to scale fairly easily, if you want to give it a try.
    I live in Northern Ireland, so I am not exactly close, but the internet can help with that. I am always up for a challenge........My name is Mark. Hope to hear from you!

I think if you want to do this, go for it. There is no reason not to.
    However, judging from your responses to our questions, you don't know very much about flying or aircraft. There's nothing wrong with that, but I would recommend getting your license as a first step. It will force you into planes so you can see what different aircraft are for and how they perform. It will also put you in touch with a lot of pilots and likely several builders who might be able to answer some of your questions face to face.

Some folks like to fly, some just get a kick out of building. If you tackle such a large project, you might be one of the latter. I've a friend who has worked on his Cozy for almost 30 years and is happy as he can be. Go for it!