Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dispensing/transporting avgas and the FAR's

The EPA has, as you may know, made container manufacturers comply with their new standards. New fuel containers are miserable to use, at best. For years (pre-ethanol) i hauled auto fuel onto my airport and pumped it into my Skyhawk via a 12v. electric pump. I would also buy 100LL and pump it into a five-gallon plastic fuel container for use in small power equipment at home. I would use it in my boat as well as sell it, at no profit to friends who wanted to use it as a stabilizer in their fuel tanks. It was never an issue.
    Today, I will drive my motorcycle onto my local airport and buy either 100LL or MoGas with a credit card. I also fill my boat which holds 50 gallons for it's inboard engine and, their are many airboat guys who also fill up. It's good alternative business for the FBO.
    I would think rather than worrying about FAR's and EPA, you should be concerned about hauling fuel on the road in "un-approved" or improperly secured/stored containers by local or state law enforcement. When I hauled fuel to the airport, I did so in a 55 gallon drum that was secured to a wooden platform by strapping. I could also remove the tank by sliding it out and onto a platform I built for it. The pump was installed in the side bung. I would cover it with a tarp when hauling it. Out of sight - out of mind. I'd look for another FBO if possible. Obviously, the one in question is not interested in making money. Best of luck!

I never considered pouring 5-10 gallons in the plane while the hanger door was open to be 'hazardous'.

In some states the issue is highway motor fuel tax. If you fill the 5 gal. can at the airport you are not paying highway fuel tax and the jerry can could go into your pickup.

Reasons for not selling fuel.

The problem of selling fuel to be transported off airport recently arose out our local airport. A cropduster based at his own grass strip wanted to buy fuel in a portable tank to take home for his helicopter. The attendant refused to sell it to him. Needless to say he was not happy and rightfully so. As a member of our Airport Commision I was asked to intercede on his behalf. This was brought up at our monthly meeting a few days later. The concern of the airport Manager was basically the liability of selling fuel to someone to be transported over the road in their vehicle. While we all have to be concerned about liability these days, we should not let it scare us into doing nothing. Since there is no reason that we should refuse to work with an aircraft owner or pilot to sell them fuel for their aircraft or one they are using, the challenge becomes one of how can we do so and manage the liability involved. Once a person leaves our premises the whole issue becomes about transporting fuel over the road which falls under the DOT regulations. I proposed that we only dispense fuel into DOT aproved containers for aviation use only. The individual involved then has to give us a valid N number and sign a form accepting all responsibility for the transportation of the fuel. The feeling was that this would at least help to limit any liability on the part of the County which owns the airport, and allow us to accomodate the needs of the flying public with minimal inconvenience to the customer. This may not be a perfect solution and probably does not eliminate all liability but I beleive it is a good aproach. We have a responsibility to take good care of the members of the flying community and at the same time we have a duty to the citizens of our County to minmize the risk of lawsuits in our suit happy world. No one has to tell you that in todays world there are people just itching to sue someone. And if the local government is a viable target they will jump at the chance. Since NonEthenal fuel is available locally we have not had many requests for Non Aviation sales such as boats and lawnmowers. Just thought I would share the aproach we have taken , as it might be something that you could use to convince your airport management to implement at your local airport. Best of luck.Randy

Quote Originally Posted by vaflier View Post
    Once a person leaves our premises the whole issue becomes about transporting fuel over the road which falls under the DOT regulations.
    I don't follow. What's the difference between an FBO dispensing fuel into a jerry can vs. a gas station dispensing fuel into a jerry can?

There is no difference as long as it is an aproved container.. At least that is my opinion.

The FBO might have deeper pockets & maybe less sympathy from a jury,,,,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by nrpetersen View Post
    The FBO might have deeper pockets & maybe less sympathy from a jury,,,,,,,
    In today's aviation economic climate, there can't be too many FBOs left that have deeper pockets (if they ever did).
    Bill

I agree, many regular gas stations may have 'deeper pockets' that the local FBO. Of course gas stations sell gas to patrons carried off in fuel cans 1000s of times a day. In this day & age though I don't really have a problem providing an 'N' number to where the fuel is going. It's a wonder we get anything done some times with all the liability worry.

I've always wondered why we aren't allowed to deduct the road tax when we use mogas in our aircraft. Obviously the only road use it gets is in a 5 gallon can in the back of my pickup.

Mike
    If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money!