Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dispensing/transporting avgas and the FAR's

Dispensing/transporting avgas and the FAR's

For seven years my FBO has filled my six red gasoline containers for a total of 30 gal per visit transported in my pickup. I then transfer it to my Safari helo as I need it. Five days ago I was told they would only pump directly into the helo in the future. That creates potentially dangerous situations for me, incredible inconvenience and real loss of services for the non-profits and public agencies for which I fly gratis.

I could not understand the mumblings of the FBO owner over the phone when I aked for a clarification.

I've been six years straight to Oshkosh, won silver Lindy in '06, and always refueled by Basler into the five gallon containers transported there by myself and fellow pilots.

Oshkosh is run by the book.

There's a company in NC, near Greensboro that markets a 300gallon, single axle fuel trailer which they indicate on their website to be legal for avgas.

The FBO I called that handles avgas at the Oswego Co. airport said they would not pump into a traier because it is a violation of the FAR's.

Basler, at Oshkosh, filled the 100 gal trailer many times during Airventure '11 from which I was refueled.

I need help finding out what the FAR's say about avgas dispensing into containers and trailers and the transporting of it thereafter.

I don't think it is the FARs - rather the EPA that has like a $200,000 fine for anyone dispensing leaded fuels into anything except an airplane's tank. Can anyone confirm that?

Somewhat related question: Has anyone ever been hassled for pumping avgas into a jerry can to take home in order to calibrate their experimental's fuel sensor? Or to perform first engine start? I did it only once; got very odd looks from the FBO (self-serve fuel), but nothing was said.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Tell them to show you the FAR.

I don't think the EPA has such a rule.
    In the 1996 phaseout of leaded fuel, EPA exempted certain activities. Besides aviation, vehicles for off-road purposes like racing cars, farm equipment, and marine engines can use leaded fuel. Several gas stations where I live still sell leaded fuel for "off-road" use only. Some of the brands are VP, Sunoco, Torco, etc. I believe NASCAR switched to unleaded fuel in 2008.

Just get an old cherokee gas tank and put it in the back of your truck. Not much they could say then cause it's going directly into an airplane gas tank.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    Tell them to show you the FAR. I don't think the EPA has such a rule.
    40 CFR 80.173(b)(1) is all i've found so far. but i've seen fresh signs at a nearby airport saying they can't sell any fuel that's going off-airport. making the airboat guys mad. next time i'm there when the office is open i'll ask for their reference.

Quote Originally Posted by cdrmuetzel@juno.com View Post
    40 CFR 80.173(b)(1) is all i've found so far.
    That reg has been on the books since 1996. Nothing new here to see.

but i've seen fresh signs at a nearby airport saying they can't sell any fuel that's going off-airport.
    Wonder what they going to tell the transient pilot that wants a top-off.

Nothing in the FAR's about dispensing avgas into cans... if it's not going into a plane the FAR's don't cover anything that happens on the ground. Even that EPA rule referenced above doesn't apply to the end user (you and me).

My local airport has no problem selling avgas into cans; some of the PPG guys run avgas and I like to run avgas in my ultralight in the winter (keeps better)... I pump it into a can so I can mix the oil into it. Some guys bring their cigarette boats in for gas, too.

A friend had a chopper that he kept a 200 gallon trailer tank full of Jet-A for, since the airport he kept it at didn't sell jet fuel.

If anything, it might be an insurance requirement restricting fuel sales. Probably the same mentality that makes self service gasoline illegal in NJ (because it's "dangerous").

I would look to another airport with a 24 hour pump. I've done a few 5 gallon fuel cans at times to top off in the hanger. I or others have never had a problem with it at our local airport. If you go elsewhere you should be fine.

Wow! What a great spacesaving idea!! Could lower the cost of hangar rent.....
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Delene View Post
    I've done a few 5 gallon fuel cans at times to top off in the hanger.
    most people don't admit fueling in the hangar. putting in five gallons of gas displaces five gallons of potentially explosive/flammable fumes.

Name:  hangar with a hanger.jpg
Views: 1342
Size:  64.2 KB