Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: What tents for Oshkosh

The American Bonanza society tent has a free charging station .
    Many people stop in for a cool drink, pop corn and to sit down in the shade.
    Yeah, they've saved my highly overheated butt on more than one occasion.

Both those are cool! I was worried about having to sit around my phone for an hour waiting for it to charge.
    My practice has always been to carry at least two batteries for my cell phone. Charge them both at night before bed and then you're good for a couple of days.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

We have a "modified dome" Coleman, no longer made. It's handled every Airventure since 2006 without a problem, including wind and thunderstorms. The only time it gets wet inside is when we leave the inner "window" panels unzipped when it rains, even though it's not got a full fly. I always put tarps down. Old Boy Scout trick is to never have the tarp siticking out from under the tent. I see lots of people make that mistake. Then it just makes a nice wet platter for the tent to sit in. Better to let the outer 6" of tent sit on the ground.

They are all made by 2 or 3 manufacturers now, all overseas, I'm pretty sure. The "quality" comes from the options selected by the designer when ordered.

I'm not sure why there is a bias against fiberglass poles. I've never had one break.

We've camped the last four years at OSH, including the big wind/rain storm last year, in a Coleman 3 room tent. Works and holds up great. This thing claims it sleeps 8, which seems like overkill for 2 people, but it is great to have the space to secure your "stuff" during the day, and to sit and/or eat inside if it's raining. Obviously we drive in, so we can afford the extra weight and size.

Interesting discussions about the rain fly -our fly covers the entire top and down about a foot over the sides, but nowhere near the ground. We've had no issues with rain at all, even in the big thunderstorm, and the ventilation is good because of the foot of airspace between the fly and the mesh "ceiling".

My best advice - seam seal. Buy a bottle at a camping or sports/outdoor store. Set up the tent in your yard, and seal all the seams, inside and outside, TWICE. Let it dry in between. Even do the zippers. My tent does not leak at all with the seam seal applied.

Name:  DSC_2558.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  96.3 KB