Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What tents for Oshkosh

What would be cool is if you could mail your camping equipment or any items you needed but didn't want to take on the plane to Oshkosh and then they would hold it till you got there and then mail it back afterwards. Sort of like a short term storage facility.

skeeter

although carbon fiber is on the horizon but will be expensive, of course
    We're a forum of people who build airplanes out of the stuff. I'm sure most of us could very easily make tent poles out of it for our own use. LOL
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Hunter Valley in New South Wales Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeter_ca View Post
    What would be cool is if you could mail your camping equipment or any items you needed but didn't want to take on the plane to Oshkosh and then they would hold it till you got there and then mail it back afterwards. Sort of like a short term storage facility.

skeeter
    They did do this up until a couple of years ago. But it is not mentioned now on the website. Onsite US post was not there last year either.
    The South Africans store all their equipment on site so maybe that could also be an option especially people camping together each year.
    ozzie

For ten years I used the cheapest little two man tent, but I'd put a tarp over the ground AND another tarp over the top of the tent and use my camp chairs and bungees to hold it open for airflow. Got some strange looks from the neighbors till the mandatory thunderstorm and torrential downpour hit, then they understood :-) I also used a second tent as a closet for all my crap. Unfortunately the crime rate has risen a bit at AirVenture and I found that out of sight, out of thieving hands worked for me. Now I get to stay in a motel :-)
    It's much more difficult than rocket science!
    It's more like helicopter aerodynamics!

Quote Originally Posted by Bell47pilot View Post
    For ten years I used the cheapest little two man tent, but I'd put a tarp over the ground AND another tarp over the top of the tent and use my camp chairs and bungees to hold it open for airflow. Got some strange looks from the neighbors till the mandatory thunderstorm and torrential downpour hit, then they understood :-) I also used a second tent as a closet for all my crap. Unfortunately the crime rate has risen a bit at AirVenture and I found that out of sight, out of thieving hands worked for me. Now I get to stay in a motel :-)

Wow, I didn't know things were coming up missing. I leave so much stuff out at the 5th wheel in the campground it's unreal. I can't imagine trying to put it all away when I leave for the day. Matter of fact, I saw phones & laptops plugged in being chaarged at the shower houses.
    Last edited by malexander; 03-09-2012 at 08:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by malexander View Post
    Wow, I didn't know things were coming up missing. I leave so much stuff out at the 5th wheel in the campground it's unreal. I can't imagine trying to put it all away when I leave for the day. Matter of fact, I saw phones & laptops plugged in being chaarged at the shower houses.
    In 2011, quite a few cell phones were stolen from the shelf/charging station outside the showers in Homebuilt Camping. Cell phones are easy to swipe, conceal, and carry and can be sold pretty easily. The cookware and folding chairs at your campsite probably aren't at risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Bell47pilot View Post
    the cheapest little two man tent, but I'd put a tarp over the ground AND another tarp over the top of the tent
    we must share a utility helicopter operator mentality. i do the same thing, cheap dome tent and harbor freight tarps. works great. and i can use the tarps for other stuff until i need new ones (usually ten bucks a pair) to impress (NOT) the people who think you have to buy megabucks imported take-it-to-everest type schtuff to be happy in wisconsin. "mine is bigger than yours" doesn't impress me any more. function that meets the budget makes more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    In 2011, quite a few cell phones were stolen from the shelf/charging station outside the showers in Homebuilt Camping. Cell phones are easy to swipe, conceal, and carry and can be sold pretty easily.
    Folks might be interested in an alternative. Vintage has a staffed "charging station" at their red barn where you can leave your device, get a receipt, they'll charge it, and you can retrieve it later. You have to pay a attention to their hours, but aside from that, it's great. I believe they didn't charge for the service but asked for a contribution.

The American Bonanza society tent has a free charging station .
    Many people stop in for a cool drink, pop corn and to sit down in the shade.
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by MEdwards View Post
    Folks might be interested in an alternative. Vintage has a staffed "charging station" at their red barn where you can leave your device, get a receipt, they'll charge it, and you can retrieve it later. You have to pay a attention to their hours, but aside from that, it's great. I believe they didn't charge for the service but asked for a contribution.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Halloran View Post
    The American Bonanza society tent has a free charging station .
    Many people stop in for a cool drink, pop corn and to sit down in the shade.
    Kevin
    Both those are cool! I was worried about having to sit around my phone for an hour waiting for it to charge. Would be cool if they didn't close till late and opened early so you could leave it to charge overnight.

skeeter