Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What tents for Oshkosh

As the origonal poster here, thanks for all the info. One thing I was worried about was a tent that was tuff enough to withstand the wind and rain and still be cool enough for Oshkosh in July! The nights can be killers! The REI or maybe a Cabelas are looking pretty good to me right now, I will watch for a sale price somewhere. Larry
    No matter how far you push the envelope; its still stationary!

I disagree. I think you are confusing "cheap" with "better". A lot of things made in the USA are superior, just too expensive. If the price is right and the quality is good, I'd rather spend my money on something made here.
    Eh. I haven't seen anything built here in those categories I mentioned (outside of wine and beer) that even comes close to their foreign competition. I'm not going to pay more just because it's made here but then again I tend to lack the nationalistic pride that affects many people.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Quote Originally Posted by rawheels View Post
    Are there any tents that are made in the USA, or at least North America?
    Some fine and expensive mountaineering tents were made in the USA at least a few years ago. I have owned tents from Bibler and Stephenson's Warmlite made in USA. Both were excellent. I'm pretty sure the Stephenson's are still made in New England. Bibler is now owned by Black Diamond, and I'd be surprised if they're still made in USA, though I'll bet they're still good.

My tent for Oshkosh is a 20 year old authorized Asian knockoff of a classic, old, North Face dome tent. The North Face was at that time made in USA. Mine was then a good tent for half the money of the original USA-made tent. Unfortunately that's the way it goes.

I tried to respond a few days ago but - I guess I didn't "send" it correctly.

Backpacker Magazine picked the REI " Dome 4" as their family tent . it's reasonably priced (yes imported) and has good features. even comes with a pole splint. http://www.rei.com/product/777757/rei-camp-dome-4-tent It is an inexpensive 3 season tent. Buy the footprint - ground cloth - to protect the main tent floor from "pokies" also keeps the main tent floor cleaner - easy to wash the footprint.

One of the big problems is the rain fly - WAY TOO many big box store tents have these tiny handkerchiefs as a rain fly. First rain and wind - everything is wet.

Looking forward to my first AV. It keeps moving ahead of me as the economy remains stalled. Time or money - never seem to have both together.

They only thing i don't like about the full rainflys is then it blocks ventilation and seeing outside. I'm looking at a few different tents and i would think ventilation would be a big thing during the hot muggy days. Thunderstorms can hit at any time so you would have to keep the rainfly on all the time and that would cut the ventilation through the tent. What is the best option?

skeeter

Quote Originally Posted by skeeter_ca View Post
    They only thing i don't like about the full rainflys is then it blocks ventilation and seeing outside. I'm looking at a few different tents and i would think ventilation would be a big thing during the hot muggy days. Thunderstorms can hit at any time so you would have to keep the rainfly on all the time and that would cut the ventilation through the tent. What is the best option?

skeeter
    You're not in the tent during the day, so the heat isn't a big issue and you leave the fly on unless you're nearby. At night, you can open the rain fly and enjoy the breeze. When the thunder gets loud enough, you close the fly...

My .02

As someone who has been in the Outdoor industry for almost 20 years, it amazes me that aviation enthusiasts who spend thousands on annuals and parts measured in $1k increments are not willing to spend the money it takes to buy equipment that will ensure a comfortable camping experience. Having recently lost my job due to "downsizing," I have no loyalty to any specific company, but can hopefully shed some light on what to look for when buying a tent.

The comment regarding mountaineering-oriented tents is a good starting point, but what you need for something like Oshkosh is known as a 3-season backpacking tent. Non-negotiable features should include: aluminum poles, not fiberglass (although carbon fiber is on the horizon but will be expensive, of course); a full rain fly that extends almost to the ground; fully seam taped floor and rain fly; as much no-see-um mesh as possible for maximum ventilation in the humid climate.

Some other considerations: Unless weight is an absolute consideration, buy one size larger than you need, i.e. a 3-person for 2-person camping. It will add about a pound, but give you way more space to move around and keep your stuff dry in a downpour. A vestibule is nice - it adds space covered by the rain fly but outside the living space, perfect for wet shoes, or even cooking if necessary. Windows in the rain fly are nice but not critical. The rain fly is necessary even in clear weather due to dew in the humid climate of OSH.

When setting up, stake out the rain fly as much as possible to maximize air flow underneath. If its clear, you can leave the door open, but anything exposed will get wet from dew.

To address the other comments: unfortunately the skills and knowledge required to sew complex products has all but been lost in the US, at any price. Also, the high quality fabrics required for lightweight, truly waterproof tents are mostly produced in Taiwan, even for domestic production. However, the design, development, sourcing, marketing, customer service and distribution of outdoor products still supports a great deal of good paying US jobs... hopefully to soon include a new one for me so I don't have to sell my RV!

-- bill
    Portland, OR
    RV-7 purchased flying

Quote Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
    it amazes me that aviation enthusiasts who spend thousands on annuals and parts measured in $1k increments are not willing to spend the money
    Maybe that IS the reason we must budget on everything else. Especially on items that might only be used 1 week in the year.

Rawheels your right that is exactly why we budget. However Spindrift thanks for your comments, that is exactly what I was looking for when I stated this thread. One more time my computer has helped pay its way! Larry
    No matter how far you push the envelope; its still stationary!

Hunter Valley in New South Wales Australia
    Travelling to Oshkosh from overseas for me is a travelling light affair so i have have to hit Walmart for a camping setup that i leave behind at the end of the show. So cheap it has to be and i accept the limitations of that. Luckily i also have a hire car to fall back on when it rains like last year. What would be a great benefit to myself and others that have to travel light is that maybe some local organisations could set up a small tent city with a few facilities like a common BBQ to rent out. Maybe some of the Scout type groups could make a dollar or two from that. Small water proof tent and off the ground cot would make life a bit easier when coping from a couple of days travel, jetlag, driving on the wrong side of the road and jumping straight into the event. I'd gladly pay a couple of hundred for the week for a service like that. Last trip to Walmart came up a bit short in the tent dept.

ozzie