Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What tents for Oshkosh

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Brossett View Post
    I'll 2nd the sturdy & waterproof! In a rush, I borrowed a small dome tent from a relative in '04. It was one of those they practically give away at Wally World. My wife and I had quite the experience in a storm that passed through. Regardless of the size tent, buy a quality one!
    Yeah, the tent I used at the last minute last year (because my normal camping tent was stolen by my psychotic ex-girlfriend) underwent a torture test when that windstorm came through. I was in it at the time and finally resorted to pulling the tent poles out of place to reduce it's profile in the wind. I was getting lifted off the ground and didn't feel like taking a wild ride.

That said, we are planning on staying in a rental home or at the university. I am just not that fond of Camp Scholler.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Instant Tent 8

Model No. 2000007832
    Product No LOnger Available.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Warner View Post
    Instant Tent 8

Model No. 2000007832
    Product No LOnger Available.
    Try this one: http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colem...id=11025&brand= Guess they decided it was worth about $70 more than before.

Also, according to their company's youtube account, they will be introducing a version that has a rain fly this spring.

We have an REI 2-man dome tent. Not roomy, but it keeps out the rain and has zipper doors on both sides so either of us can get in or out with disturbing the other. Not cheap (common thread here, right?) though. My first Oshkosh I had a $29 Walmart tent and the first day a thunderstorm soaked everything in the tent!
    Larry Snyder
    Mountain View, Arkansas
    N99340

What size are you looking for?

What size and wt of tent are you looking for? For example, I fly in an RV-6 and am very weight conscious and need room for two. I also wanted something that will stand up to high winds. In my case I have a 3 man light wt backpacking tent that has aluminum poles (strongest). It weights only 6.5 lbs and with full (to the ground) rain fly it holds up to strong winds and heavy rains with no bending over or flooding. REI is a good vendor for this type of tent as is many other backpacking camping special stores. Look for a 3 season tent, you are not planning a mountain expedition. With smart shopping you can get a good tent for $150 to $200.

From my personal 30+ year OSH experience, if you go with a cheap tent from a big box store, with fiberglass poles and a rain fly that only comes down 1/2 way, it will do you well for 5 out of 6 years at OSH but when that big storm comes plan to take all your clothing and bedding to a local laundry to dry them all out.

Good luck on your search.

Look for a 3 season tent, you are not planning a mountain expedition
    Although if you're looking for low-weight and high wind and rain tolerance, you really can't beat the tents designed for climbers.
    Last edited by steveinindy; 02-07-2012 at 01:45 AM.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Smidler View Post
    What size and wt of tent are you looking for? For example, I fly in an RV-6 and am very weight conscious and need room for two. I also wanted something that will stand up to high winds. In my case I have a 3 man light wt backpacking tent that has aluminum poles (strongest). It weights only 6.5 lbs and with full (to the ground) rain fly it holds up to strong winds and heavy rains with no bending over or flooding. REI is a good vendor for this type of tent as is many other backpacking camping special stores. Look for a 3 season tent, you are not planning a mountain expedition. With smart shopping you can get a good tent for $150 to $200.

From my personal 30+ year OSH experience, if you go with a cheap tent from a big box store, with fiberglass poles and a rain fly that only comes down 1/2 way, it will do you well for 5 out of 6 years at OSH but when that big storm comes plan to take all your clothing and bedding to a local laundry to dry them all out.

Good luck on your search.
    This is my tent. It is very, very light. I didn't pay the current price for it. I probably paid ~$200 for it and have been very pleased.

http://www.rei.com/product/827799/re...r-dome-t3-tent

Are there any tents that are made in the USA, or at least North America?

Personally, I wouldn't trust them if there were. Like with most things (wine, cheese, beer, cars, etc), the best tents tend to be imports.

I disagree. I think you are confusing "cheap" with "better". A lot of things made in the USA are superior, just too expensive. If the price is right and the quality is good, I'd rather spend my money on something made here.