Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What tents for Oshkosh

What tents for Oshkosh

This is in relpy to the thread about used tent poles and saving them. How about some advice or guidence on what works best for the least. I know there are a wide viaritity of users but last year I was on of the ones that suffered a broken pole. I was able to fix enough to get through the week but after looking for a new/better one I am totaly confused, there are dozens very similer to one another out there. So, with that in mind and having seen more then just a couple of tents at Oshkosh I suspect there would be some advice on what to look for, what to stay away from, this one is great but hot, this one is expensive and you can get the same thing for half, etc.
    Thanks, Larry
    No matter how far you push the envelope; its still stationary!

http://www.cabelas.com/view-tents-ca...:referralID=NA

Expensive, but you will not get wet, and it will stay standing.

We bought one of these tents last year and are totally pleased with it. You can find them on sale during different times of the year. I think we found a great sale at Target for ours last year, but Amazon and other places have them for sale at pretty good prices. If ease of setup is of any concern, THIS is the tent for you:

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/ColemanCom/detail.asp?product_id=2000007832#.Tybh6ZgYTTM

P.S. You must click the link on that page to view the video. And yes, it really does set up that easily and quickly.
    Last edited by spongebobiwan; 01-30-2012 at 12:39 PM.

Agreed, just about everybody in our little compound has switched over to Cabelas dome tents in various sizes.

My current "air camping" tent is from REI. A bit pricey, but it really does the job. IMO, the two big things you're looking for are aluminum poles and a rain fly that goes all the way to the ground.

Sturdy, waterproof and able to stand up to high winds. Basically either a mountaineering tent or one of the high-end multi-room tents would be about the only things I would bring. That said, I'll just pay more and rent a house or room at the university.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Of course, we got really lazy and just rented a storage locker at Oshkosh. All our tents, chairs, coolers, etc... stay there over the winter.

I've had great luck with a Coleman 7 man dome tent, it is not a pure dome at 14X7 but it is dome style. It has gone through many big storms at OSH without any problems, well except when we didn't zip the windows up when it rained...

I've seen many "lodge" style tents flattened and in the trash after a big storm at OSH, they don't flex, they bend and break.
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem

We bought a Mountain Hardwear Alcove 3 GT a couple of years ago from REI. It was a little spendy at the time ($275 I think) but we couldn't be happier. It is lightweight and bombproof. We've done at least 3 trips to Oshkosh with it and never had an issue. One thing I would recommend with any tent is to get a "footprint" that matches your tent. It can mean the difference between the floor being wet or dry. I also recommend any tent that uses a "bathtub" floor design as well a sealed seams. A good rainfly is also a must.
    Dave Sterling
    1957 PA22-150/160
    N6929D
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by steveinindy View Post
    Sturdy, waterproof and able to stand up to high winds. Basically either a mountaineering tent or one of the high-end multi-room tents would be about the only things I would bring. That said, I'll just pay more and rent a house or room at the university.
    I'll 2nd the sturdy & waterproof! In a rush, I borrowed a small dome tent from a relative in '04. It was one of those they practically give away at Wally World. My wife and I had quite the experience in a storm that passed through. Regardless of the size tent, buy a quality one!
    Gary Brossett, EAA Lifetime #375866, VAA 17373
    President, Chattahoochee Valley EAA Chapter 677
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

eaachapter677@gmail.com