Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aircraft diesel engines

I ran across, several months ago, a website of a company that was producing an experimental diesel for ag aircraft that was capable of producing a few hundred horsepower. Anyone remember the name of it because I can't find it now. I believe they were based in Texas.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Steve, you may be thinking of the German 500 hp V-12 that was tested in a Yak 52. Check the link in my post #4 and look at archives around Nov 2010.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Dingley View Post
    Steve, you may be thinking of the German 500 hp V-12 that was tested in a Yak 52. Check the link in my post #4 and look at archives around Nov 2010.
    Bob
    That thing is still 705lb - a 7.3 Nav isn't much more than that.

Is it bad that given the weight and fuel consumption, I'm half tempted to say "screw it" and just go with a tail mounted turbofan? I have always had a love for jets with tail mounted engines (727, DC-10/MD-11, L1011, etc) and plus I think it would be kind of fun (at least as an engineering exercise) to pick up where Piper left off with the PiperJet. Although, if I did that, I'd probably go with a ducted fan (like on the 727 and L1011) to keep the engine closer to the center of gravity to avoid the thrust wanting to excessively push the nose over.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Switzer View Post
    That thing is still 705lb - a 7.3 Nav isn't much more than that.
    I don't know what your needs are. I think that when ever it gets developed to 600 HP it may be attractive to the old boy up the road that flys his ag plane over my house. It would be 300 lbs lighter than his installed PW R-1340 and cheaper than buying the PT-6 conversion.

Bob

Packard Diesel

Hey Guys, yes your right the Packard Diesel radial was in the 20's. But, it's the only one I recall.

I have a pair diesel Cummins diesel v8's in my boat,, huge and heavy and 300hp each.

I like them, there sweet runners. Especially in the winter, those engines heat the whole boat.
    Dope and Fabric Guy

Perhaps this may do it, an aircraft diesel built in Wisconsin, where else?

http://www.deltahawkengines.com/

Bernard

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard Christiano View Post
    Perhaps this may do it, an aircraft diesel built in Wisconsin, where else?

http://www.deltahawkengines.com/

Bernard
    Only if horsepower to weight isn't an issue or you don't exactly need a lot of the former and are willing to deal with a lot of the latter.