Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Engineering "rules"

Engineering "rules"

I think there must be a list of engineering "rules" somewhere, one of which is something like "even a minor design change requires a minimum of 24 subsequent changes and a minimum of 8 hours of re-design"?

GRRR

All I wanted to do was increase the legroom / seating position to be at least as accommodating as my 944...

Sorry, just had to vent.

Oh, and if anyone can tell me why the size of the text & arrows on my leader lines isn't the same as it is on the other dimensions (ACAD 2004) I would appreciate it. I can't seem to find any way to change it other than scaling after I insert them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Switzer View Post
    I think there must be a list of engineering "rules" somewhere, one of which is something like "even a minor design change requires a minimum of 24 subsequent changes and a minimum of 8 hours of re-design"?

GRRR

All I wanted to do was increase the legroom / seating position to be at least as accommodating as my 944...

Sorry, just had to vent.
    We used to say, "There is never enough time to do the job right but always enough time to do it over."

Bob Wilson

The corrollary to that, Bob, is "If you wait until the last minute to do something it only takes a minute to get it done."
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Well, I guess it will take as long as it takes, it is a whole lot easier (and cheaper) to move lines on a screen than to re weld something.

See my signature line. My "bumper sticker" for building it the way the plans show...

My other "bumper sticker of homebuilding", if I had one, is attributed to Bill Lear - "you don't have to fix what you leave out".

More engineering-related -

A "greybeard" once told me the design is done when the whole team is equally unhappy with it. If someone's happy, they're holding too much margin... You need to figure out what their margin _really_ is...
    Murphy's 13th: Every solution breeds new problems...

http://www.spoonworld.com

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Witherspoon View Post
    See my signature line. My "bumper sticker" for building it the way the plans show...
    Well, I'm doing a full redesign, but... I was looking at the dimensions on the drawing & began to question whether my size 12s & 34 inch inseam would really fit, so I spent some time sitting in my MGB & 944 taking measurements, which convinced me there was no way I would fit comfortably. If I'm building something, I want to feel comfortable in it, so some things got stretched.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Witherspoon View Post
    A "greybeard" once told me the design is done when the whole team is equally unhappy with it. If someone's happy, they're holding too much margin... You need to figure out what their margin _really_ is...
    Been there. Also, you can never make both the design team & the production team happy at the same time. I've been on both sides, so now I'm arguing with & compromising with myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Switzer View Post
    Oh, and if anyone can tell me why the size of the text & arrows on my leader lines isn't the same as it is on the other dimensions (ACAD 2004) I would appreciate it. I can't seem to find any way to change it other than scaling after I insert them.
    Go to Dimension - Style - Modify and you set the size of the text and arrows to whatever you like.

My soon-to-be father-in-law (a software engineer) likes to say "Every project reaches a point where you must shoot the engineers and go into production".
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Quote Originally Posted by cynamonb View Post
    Go to Dimension - Style - Modify and you set the size of the text and arrows to whatever you like.
    Thanks, But I already tried that, it changes it for all the regular dimensions, but not the leader lines or text. I screwed around with it for a couple hours the other day & couldn't find any way to do it, and yes, that is what would have done it in ACAD 2000, which was the last version I used a lot.