Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sun n Fun Camping

Sun n Fun Camping

Since rooms are so hard to get in Lakeland around Sun n Fun, I thought it might be fun to camp next to my plane. I have never done this before at Sun n Fun or Oshkosh. Any suggestions from those of you with experience is appreciated. If it goes well at Lakeland I'll probably camp at Oshkosh too. I have read the camping information on the Sun n Fun and AirVenture websites. Besides tent, air mattress, sleeping bag, snacks and lights, what else do you recommend?

Ear plugs, bug spray, sunscreen, a hat, a couple of camp chairs, and a portable shade if you have one.

You mentioned a tent. You want a GOOD tent - not one from Wally-world. At both SnF and OSH, you're liable to have a big storm at one time or another. Good tents will keep their shape and won't leak badly under those conditions. A cheap tent probably will.

Camping under the wing is great - enjoy.

Thanks Kyle! I don't have a portable shade, otherwise I'm adding the other items to my checklist.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    Ear plugs, bug spray, sunscreen, a hat, a couple of camp chairs, and a portable shade if you have one.

You mentioned a tent. You want a GOOD tent - not one from Wally-world. At both SnF and OSH, you're liable to have a big storm at one time or another. Good tents will keep their shape and won't leak badly under those conditions. A cheap tent probably will.

Camping under the wing is great - enjoy.

At OSH, you're not liable to have a gully washer. You WILL, at least one night have a good dose of rain. Been going for 10 years now and it hasn't missed a night yet.

Marshall Alexander

One more comment. Get a good set of tie-downs. During a 2AM thunderstorm, you can hear your airplane creaking and groaning due to the wind gusts. You'll sleep better if you know your airplane is gonna stay where you put it.

Alternately, you can insert your ear plugs, adopt a fatalistic attitude, and try not to let any negative thoughts disturb your sleep.

I have a Coleman tent purchased at Wallyworld that served me well for years until I bought a pop up trailer. What I noticed is while the brand can help, the tents that I saw survive the storms were domes, not "lodge" style tents. Dome tents will move around in a storm (i.e. bop you in the head while you are sleeping in a storm) but they won't collapse or bend poles like a square tent. Yeah, the vertical walls have more volume inside but they don't flex with the wind. The domes also usually pack up to smaller dimensions than the others.

Have fun!
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem

Going into it realize you won't have the comforts of the local Best Western. An air mattress would be a big help. I'd have some munchies, breakfast bars & other that doesn't need refrigeration, then some water or juice. A few items to ease your shower visits would help, shower shoes & such. It's part of the overall experience. Everyone should do it, once anyway. I'd also keep an eye on the weather & adjust accordingly.

As for rooms at either Osh or Lakeland, if they are full locally, there are a number of motels in surrounding areas, if you have a car.
    And do you know why prop planes are better than jets; other than the obvious reasons like sound, smell , and general coolness?
    With a prop you have somewhere to hang your clothes and/or sleeping bag on to dry out after the rainstorms.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 01-31-2012 at 10:12 AM.

Went to SNF in 2009 and camped with my 172. Since then I have been to Oshkosh twice (2010/11) and camped there too. The camping area at Oshkosh seems to be much nicer. Has anyone been to SNF recently that can report on the condition of the aircraft camp area and proximity to showers?

Here's where the "high wingers" shine, you can easily set-up a tent under the wing of a 172, you'll need a very low pup tent to do that with a Cherokee!

Joe