Thread: N-numbers on fabric

N-numbers on fabric

I have just finished assembling a kit that has dacron sailcloth (ultralight type) fabric stretched between aluminum tubes.
    It just got FAA registered as an experimental homebuilt aircraft and now I need to affix my N-numbers to the tail.
    What are my alternative processess for doing that? Paint them on?, and with what kind of paint?, or purchase stickers?, or what?
    I would appreciate any advice or suggestions.
    Mark

Your local Sign company makes spray stencils any size and shape. They go on easy, and do a nice job on numbers, logo etc.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkW View Post
    I have just finished assembling a kit that has dacron sailcloth (ultralight type) fabric stretched between aluminum tubes.
    It just got FAA registered as an experimental homebuilt aircraft and now I need to affix my N-numbers to the tail.
    What are my alternative processes for doing that? Paint them on?, and with what kind of paint?, or purchase stickers?, or what?
    I would appreciate any advice or suggestions.
    Mark
    stick-on vinyl works for me. office supply stores and lots of places sell them. neighbors have had custom setups made at local sign shops, so all their external logos and labels match. you know, fuel placards, pilot/copilot names, tire pressure, no step, push here, turn to open, all that stuff. not as expensive as you might think, and they line up nicely for application, too.

faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC%2045-2D.pdf

i just paint mine on. they are supposed to be applied permanently.

Quote Originally Posted by tonycondon View Post
    they are supposed to be applied permanently.
    Sec. 45.21 — General. (1) ... or affixed by any other means insuring a similar degree of permanence

heat gun and plastic scraper and elbow grease and buff/polish to remove the shadows convinced me the old vinyl markings were of a superior degree of permanence compared to soaking a rag in lacquer thinner and wiping rattle-can numbers off polyurethane paint. your mileage may vary.