Hi,

My plane, N19WT, has four bolts for the shoulder harness that attach to plates embedded in the underside of the wing that are held and except for the bolt hole, covered with fiberglass. Obviously, the bolts will be torqued down but they attach to shoulder harness strap hardware. I would like to make sure the bolts don't by hook or crook, back out.

One approach might be to safety wire the bolt heads but other than the nearest bolt, about 8" away, there isn't any other local point to anchor the safety wire. What are the guidelines for safety wire distance to an anchor point?

Another approach might be use to a lock washer but I've usually seen these used on the nut-side, not the bolt head or between the soft fiberglass and shoulder harness anchor hardware. It doesn't strike me as the best solution but I really don't know.

Then I remembered having used loctite blue on a bolt-together, folding trailer and been impressed with its holding power. Are loctite or a similar bolt adhesives used in aviation?

Thanks,
Bob Wilson