Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any updates on the 3rd class medical?

Any updates on the 3rd class medical?

So I like many others ran across the AOPA article regarding the petition to discharge the 3rd class medical requirement up to the Recreational pilot rating.

Other than general speculation I can't really find any information on the response or ongoing discussion etc etc.

Being Ex-military there are simply things in our medical records that instill a bit of anxiety knowing that if I apply and get rejected I also will be unable to even fly LSA.

I am currently working on my sport ticket but seriously my dream in life is to simply have a 150 or 152 to take a few nice trips with my wife in once in a while.

So does anyone have anything deffinative on where this is going with the FAA? recent news releases? friends on the inside? articles even saying that the FAA is considering this in the near future etc etc?

So does anyone have anything deffinative on where this is going with the FAA?
    The safe money is on 'nowhere'.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Kurt,There was a decision by AOPA/EAA to table it until a new FAA head is appointed. Also the proposal would only allow current Recreational pilots and above exercise RP privileges without a 3rd class medical.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt_3_0_1 View Post
    So does anyone have anything deffinative on where this is going with the FAA? recent news releases? friends on the inside? articles even saying that the FAA is considering this in the near future etc etc?
    Kurt:

Nothing definite, but the petition for an exemption to the 3rd class medical is apparently on hold. See AvWebFlash link:
    http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archive...ll.html#206062

The above issue contains a statment by the AOPA president saying the resignation of the FAA director has put the submission of the petition on hold until a new one is appointed -- somthing that probably won't happen in an election year.

On a slightly different tack, the same issue has information about an internal FAA consideration for a weight increase for LSA.

In either case, I'm doubtful that much will happen to the exemption request this year.

Don

Third Class Medical Exemption

Kurt,

The same exact question that you had has been badgering me for the last couple of weeks. I guess, based on the nominal response which you have received, it doesn't look good. However, since in MHO, this change would be even more important to G/A than the Sport Pilot concept itself, the reaction of "just sleep through an election year" attitude should simply not be accepted. I feel that it is incumbent on the whole pilot community to protest the non-informative position which both the AOPA and the EAA have taken on the status of this proposal and their efforts to represent us before the FAA. There is certain to be an impact from manufacturers of 175-200k LSA's and their concern about a market demand slump if the proposal should succeed. But this is only to be expected and these people have reason not to want to see thousands of Cessna 150's and Piper Cherokees suddenly flood the market they presumed to have been awarded in a grand monoply fashion by the stewards of G/A. Most importantly, those of us who are pilots need to protest the inaction of our organizations and speak our position directly to them. I hope you and our flying comrades will join in a direct written and telephonic campaign to insure that they don't attempt to make excuses instead of taking the actions promised. My letters will go out this week. I hope many of the EAA pilots here will join in.

Note: The AOPA Pilot magazine which is in the mail last week contained a short supportive article on page 12 titled :Keep flying: Free online course, no AME". Reading it one might presume the 3rd class exemption was still on course. This ignores the earlier promises of making a formal request to the FAA in January 2012. Also, the unfortunate personal difficulties experienced by the past FAA head should in no way impede our efforts on this important legislation.

EDGEFLY

Drivers License medical proposal

I agree with EDGEFLY. A strong response from the membership of both organizations is needed. I'm very disappointed that this got slid to the back burner due to a DUI (really), and likely also the financial interest of a few. This proposal is very much needed for recreational aviation. It generated a lot of enthusiasm. At a time when we are constantly hear about reducing burdensome regulations and the cost of government, this proposal seemed to hit the mark. The LSA medical incapacitation rate of zero since its existence would serve to assure safety concerns. This one smaller issue, because of the politics, serves to identify why we have so many larger issues today in our country. Sadly, I see the chances of this happening anytime soon, if ever, about the same as me purchasing a 130,000 dollar LSA to go defy crosswinds in. Bipeflyer

Well how about a course of action, what can we do to show support for this idea. now I know we aren't going to go all crazy with an occupy the FAA group but maybe we could start a facebook page or something for the cause and spread the word for pilots to join in and take a proactive stance. or possibly another Idea, anybody?

I happen to be in favor of both proposals: 3rd class medical exemption and LSA weight increase for safety equipment. The EAA and AOPA organizations are also in favor. Exactly what else is wanted from the membership other than speeding up the process to present it to an organization (FAA) that may no longer be receptive to the idea. There are been ~8 attempts at the medical exemption over the past 25 years and all have failed. There is now supportable evidence that could get this approved. Of course approval requires the FAA administrator's agreement and there isn't one in place.

What are the odds of an interim leader approving regulatory change? Zero. They're being paid to keep the organization running until a new leader is picked. We can argue on what should be but we have to deal with what is. Forcing this through at this point would likely doom the proposal to failure which would force us to wait many more years before a reproposal could be made.

This is a long term play that can help recreational aviation. Why do we want to add risk to sucess for the sake of a few months?

I think many members of both organizations would simply like to know from both organizations why this exemption request is not proceeding as originally planned. It is not regulatory change, though it would hopefully evolve to that. It is an exemption request and can happen much more rapidly. The announcement that was planned in September of last year generated a lot of interest and enthusiasm, and if it cannot happen as originally planned, it would be good to know why. Contacting the respective organizations only reiterates how much interest members have in this happening. It also precludes individuals guessing what the real situation is, and that members are ready to assist in achieving it.

Can't argue with that. It would make sense for EAA/AOPA to put forth an update on their web sites. Forum Moderator, please?