Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations on what to build

That is beautiful....the colors are a marvelous pairing. How does it handle in high DA settings?
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

I really can't answer that Steve... I'm just a fan of the design. Perhaps one of the Pietenpol pilots will come along and answer that for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Hangar10 View Post
    I really can't answer that Steve... I'm just a fan of the design. Perhaps one of the Pietenpol pilots will come along and answer that for us.
    Fair enough. I've never had the chance to fly one which is why I asked. It's a cool design.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Check out this web site http://www.worldaircraftco.com/ 190 take off

Kitfox

I'm amazed that no-one has mentioned the Kitfox. The Classic IV was designed for just the kind of thing you want to do. Low and slow, four cycle engines, 2 seats, Sport Pilot legal and steel tube safety. You can buy good used ones, or get a brand new kit from the factory.

Jim

Healthy debate

Glad to have sparked a bit of lively debate! Thanks for the ideas.

I am definitely going to check out a Sportcopter given that my RV is in the hanger closest to theirs, and they've been kind enough to give me a couple of little things I needed to keep moving on a project (heat shrink, air, etc.). However, I am a bit nervous given that a good friend of mine, who is a much more accomplished pilot than I, balled one up on his first flight after purchase, even after transition training. Luckily he wasn't injured, but the rebuild is taking quite a while.

I talked to a guy in the ultralight area at Arlington a couple years ago, but I can't remember the model name. He seemed to think it wouldn't be a problem to take off and land in well under 200'.

I've got an IO360 in my RV, but my goal with this project would be something smaller and less expensive to build and operate. I won't need any significant cross-country range, and I wouldn't be flying if it was very windy. This would be a calm sunrise/sunset bird only.

- bill
    Portland, OR
    RV-7 purchased flying after selling my -7A project before starting the finish kit

I am definitely going to check out a Sportcopter given that my RV is in the hanger closest to theirs, and they've been kind enough to give me a couple of little things I needed to keep moving on a project (heat shrink, air, etc.). However, I am a bit nervous given that a good friend of mine, who is a much more accomplished pilot than I, balled one up on his first flight after purchase, even after transition training. Luckily he wasn't injured, but the rebuild is taking quite a while.
    He is very lucky. If you do go with a gyrocopter, make sure it has some form of structural protection for your head and neck. A lot of them of them don't and they have a tendency to turn turtle or nose over in crash sequences. Without something else between you and the ground, even a helmet isn't likely to offer that much protection.

You're talking STOL operations

. . . and if you're talking STOL and Light Sport, you'll want to look at the Highlander, from Just Aircraft (www.justaircraft.com). Great short field performance, even on 80 hp (but better yet with more hp), and plenty of useful load if you want to take someone along. It's a descendent of the Avid Flyer, from which the Kitfox also sprang, but optimized for STOL operations. There are plenty of powerplant options. Choose standard tires and gear, or move up as far as 31" Airstreak "tundra" tires and extended gear, or make it tricycle gear. The wings fold; it takes one person about two minutes to fold or unfold them, and no plumbing, wiring or control disconnections are necessary. It's a wonderfully responsive airplane that makes you really glad you fly. No, I don't work for the factory, but I'm building my own Highlander. I've been to airshows since I started building, and every time I look at other airplanes, I realize what a good decision it was to build this one. Check out a couple of videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vV_HfdBZR2s http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7WVcVl-c1M http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeQP-H_31JQ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHXnQCE0kG0
    Last edited by SheepdogRD; 01-26-2012 at 08:57 PM.

For something "low & slow" I suggest that you look into the Fisher Flying Products line. They have several kits that would qualify. I built a Horizon 1 back in 1995 using a A65-8 engine and a Warp Drive prop and am very happy with it.
    Dave Raun

Ch2

My non-RV is a Quad City Challenger II Long Wing, and I fly it more than the RV. It flies low and slow beautifully. I can take off and land in a couple hundred feet solo. People at the airport are amazed at how fast I get off the ground and how steeply I climb out. I can cruise around for several hours at 40-50 mph and 3 gph, or I can cruise it at 75-80 mph. It isn't the plane for getting somewhere, especially if it's more than 100 miles away, although some people do take them on longer trips. But for just flying around locally and having fun and seeing the sights, it can't be beat.

Some people are nervous about 2-stroke, but my Rotax 503 has nearly 600 hours on it and has never had a hiccup. It doesn't take much of a spot for an off-airport landing, so there are lots of places to land if something goes bad. It also has a ballistic parachute, in case there is no place to land. So, I don't worry about the "2-stroke" issue at all. TBO on the 503 is 300 hr. Last year I started pulling the engine out to put in a new one, but I found the inside looks like a new engine, with full crosshatching and it has 80/80 compression, so I just put it back together and continued flying it. Part of the longeivty may be due to the fact that I think most people fly these at about 5800 rpm and 4 gph, but I mostly fly mine at 4500 rpm and 3 (or less) gph.

Suposedly, if you're into gliders, you can even shut the engine off with a Long Wing and glide the thermals, but i've never tried it.

I like my RV a lot, especially for actually GOING somewhere, but for just flying around, the CH2 can't be beat. The "II" means 2-seat. They also have a single seat model and "clipped wing" models that fly faster, but are less STOL.

Challengers also have a good group on Yahoo Groups, although of course not as extensive as VAF & the other Van's groups.

If you're interested in in more details about the Challenger, feel free to contact me.
    Last edited by brian; 01-29-2012 at 01:08 PM.
    Brian Meyette, Cornish, NH
    1995 RV-6A - N16RK (Ralph Koger)
    RV-7A - incomplete, supercharged Subaru STi - N432MM
    - SOLD
    2001 Quad City Challenger II LW - N28RT
    www.meyette.us/RV-7Ahome.htm