Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommendations on what to build

Recommendations on what to build

I'm looking to build a 'low and slow' compliment to my RV-7. We've got a mountain cabin on a meadow with room for a 425' rough landing strip between 2 gravel roads. On the opposite side of one road are 50' trees, on the other a fenced pasture. Therefore, I'd like something that would comfortably land and take off in about 200' at 5000-6000' density altitude so I have a decent safety margin. Actual altitude is 4300', but it can get pretty hot in summer. Ideally, I'd like to have the option of carrying a passenger, but mostly this would be for morning and evening scenic flights around the mountains of Central Oregon, so a single seat would be a consideration.

I'm a bit spoiled by the strong builder's community for RV's, so I'm looking not only for a great plane, but also a good support group for both building and flying. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
    bill

If you want "low, slow and STOL", my suggestion is the Zenith line of aircraft. That's their thing.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

An old pterodactyl would be good for this application. Here is a link to where you can get some background and perhaps a lead on where to find one. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pterodactyl_Ascender

The Assender II+2 would be a good choice if you can find one. I flew a Pterodactly 430R for nearly over 20 years so don't be afraid of buying a used one. If properly hangered (or hung from the garage ceiling like I did) the fabric will last a very long time.
    Last edited by jamesofthenorthwest; 01-26-2012 at 05:11 AM. Reason: forgot the add the link

An old pterodactyl would be good for this application. Here is a link to where you can get some background and perhaps a lead on where to find one. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pterodactyl_Ascender

The Assender II+2 would be a good choice if you can find one. I flew a Pterodactly 430R for nearly over 20 years so don't be afraid of buying a used one. If properly hangered (or hung from the garage ceiling like I did) the fabric will last a very long time.
    I wouldn't think that something like that would do well in a high DA (or high wind) setting. Granted, I've never even seen one in person but from the looks of that thing it wouldn't be my first choice (even with my prior experience with flying in ultralights) for the type of things that Spindrift was describing.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Carbon Cub, RANS S7, etc. But if you want my opinion get a helicopter. Those margins seem a little tight if you had any sort of engine out or issue. Not alot of room for error if the winds were bad, heavy load, or whatever. Better start practicing your spot landings and hand good brakes for landings and maybe a nitros bottle handy for takeoffs. All in jest of course!

I recommend a gyroplane

Since you live in Oregon, stop by at Sport Copter in Scappoose and look over the Vortex M912. I am building one for low and slow flying since I have a Sonex for fast and aerobatics. . It is single place but with a Rotax 912ULS 100 hp, it will land on a postage stamp, and require about 200 foot for takeoff, but the best thing is wind will hardly bother it. They also make a two place (Sport Copter II) with a big lycoming IO360 for more dollars. Your elevation is only 500 foot higher then where I live. A gyroplane is going to be a lot of fun and I can't wait to get it finished.

But if you want my opinion get a helicopter. Those margins seem a little tight if you had any sort of engine out or issue.
    And the idea of autorotation is any more desirable in a confined area like that?

Not alot of room for error if the winds were bad, heavy load, or whatever.
    That sounds like most helicopters with all systems functioning normally. LOL

Goggles For Low and Slow

After 35 years flying jets, I wanted something low and slow. I bought a couple of 2 cycle kit planes and never felt comfortable. Last summer I bought a Wag Aero Sport Trainer, which is identical to the J-3 Cub, only built in year 2000. It has a C-90 engine and I love it. Flew it through the Rocky Mts in AUG: D.A. no problem. Plans good to 1400#, so just build it to 1320 and it qualifies as Light Sport.
    Bob

2 more cents

Just throwing in another vote/recommendation for the Zenith CH750. What engine do you have in your RV7? I'd want 110 (max power)HP. That should do 'er.

jo

If you really want to "build" something low and slow... look at the Pietenpol Air Camper. I can hear the blades being sharpened already.

This one belongs to Jack Phillips of Smith Mountain Lake, North Carolina, who is also an RV builder. A real beauty!
    Name:  Icarus-plummet.jpg
Views: 1386
Size:  54.4 KB

Name:  pietcon1.jpg
Views: 1128
Size:  78.8 KB