Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Recommendations on what to build

Quote Originally Posted by taylorcraftbc65 View Post
    If you decide that you don't need the passenger option that much, Look at the Weedhopper Ultralights. You can build one in a weekend without busting your butt, and mine will rotate in 90 feet on grass, at a 7,000 foot density altitude. I have flown it in 20 MPH quartering headwinds. For even greater crosswind components, I have a Hurricane Ultralight, that will rotate in 110 feet, sideslips just GREAT, (I have done touch and go's in 20MPH ninety degree crosswinds, side slipping in an almost vertical decent).
    The question I have is why would you do that in such a light aircraft? It seems like pushing your luck in my opinion as someone with a fair amount of experience in ultralights.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    you can keep track of the gyro world here. http://www.rotaryforum.com/ these are the dirt bikes of the sky. go out and blast around.
    "Dirt bikes of the sky"....sounds like a good analogy except they are so much slower and less maneuverable than a dirt bike. The only thing they have in common is similar bad reputations for safety.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Quote Originally Posted by steveinindy View Post
    The question I have is why would you do that in such a light aircraft? It seems like pushing your luck in my opinion as someone with a fair amount of experience in ultralights.
    OK, let's put in language you will understand. I also fly aerobatics, free climb cliffs, base jump, cave dive, blue water sail, and ride a 150MPH sport bike. Let's just say that because of my not having a problem with getting in the face of the Elephant, I have done more living in my 62 years, than all the timid people on this planet combined could do in ten lifetimes.
    HALS UND BEINBRUCH!!!

Quote Originally Posted by taylorcraftbc65 View Post
    OK, let's put in language you will understand. I also fly aerobatics, free climb cliffs, base jump, cave dive, blue water sail, and ride a 150MPH sport bike. Let's just say that because of my not having a problem with getting in the face of the Elephant, I have done more living in my 62 years, than all the timid people on this planet combined could do in ten lifetimes.
    HALS UND BEINBRUCH!!!
    AKA "Bals und Heinbruch!"

jo - I still say a CH750 has far more value on every level, but just me~

Goggles New engine

Quote Originally Posted by jaksno View Post
    Just throwing in another vote/recommendation for the Zenith CH750. What engine do you have in your RV7? I'd want 110 (max power)HP. That should do 'er.

jo
    If you are looking for a 110 hp flying in a Zenith....look to Viking aircraft engine.com

Quote Originally Posted by diverdon4 View Post
    If you are looking for a 110 hp flying in a Zenith....look to Viking aircraft engine.com
    Concur heartily!

jo

Quote Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
    In the mean time, I think based on budget and mission, the best options are probably Kolb, Challenger or Quicksilver, but I'll need to do some more research on specific models and hopefully, find some rides before narrowing it down. I do like the Zenith, Just Aircraft and Fisher ideas, but I think something simpler would work for me.
    bill
    Fist consider if you want single or two seat. Next sort out the side by side or tandem if a two seater. If the Challenger is a contender be sure to check out the CGS Hawk (my favorite and a good used TDer aircraft is currently for sale if you are interested but I understand you want to build). If single seat suits you and you really did mean ultralight, is is amazing that no one has mentioned the Hyper Light by Sorrel. It is just what you are looking for.