Thread: Sources for Plastic Airplane Gas Tanks

Sources for Plastic Airplane Gas Tanks

Greetings -

I am looking for a source for a plastic fuel tank which will be used in five WW1 DH2 replica biplanes we are building.
    The space for the fuel tank is 24" wide by 16" deep by 14" high.
    The floor of the space is flat 24" wide by 16" deep.
    The front and rear walls are vertical, 24" wide at the bottom and look like a half-circle with a 2" strip added to the bottom.
    The side walls are 15" wide, rise 2" and then form a 24" diameter arc for the top of the tank.

If we can not find plastic tanks we will construct them out of aluminum sheet.

Articles regarding our project can be found in the newsletters since June 2010 at www.eaa292.org.

Thanks -
    Bruce Rose

Have you checked with suppliers of tanks for agricultural spraying? They might have something that would fit, be tolerant of a solvent like gasoline and have thick enough walls that you would less the chance of an AVGas shower in the event of a crash or hard landing.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon View Post
    The space for the fuel tank is 24" wide by 16" deep by 14" high.
    The floor of the space is flat 24" wide by 16" deep.
    The front and rear walls are vertical, 24" wide at the bottom and look like a half-circle with a 2" strip added to the bottom.
    The side walls are 15" wide, rise 2" and then form a 24" diameter arc for the top of the tank.
    depending on your budget:

atlinc.com/uavbladder.html
    atlinc.com/racing.html
    boatbladders.com/
    racerpartswholesale.com/product/ATLSaverCell/ATLFuelCell (their #ATL-SA122B)
    fuelsafe.com/custom.htm
    summitracing.com/parts/SUM-290102/
    jegs.com/p/JEGS-Performance-Products/JEGS-Drag-Race-Fuel-Cells/837884/10002/-1
    jazproducts.com/fill_fuel_caps.html
    wescoperformance.stores.yahoo.net/ecfuelcel.html
    walmart.com/ip/Attwood-12-Gallon-Fuel-Tank/14150744#Item+Description

your mileage may vary

I've looked all over for plastic tanks a couple of times. Two places to look are U.S. Plastics and Flambeau (don't have the links handy but you can google it). Sometimes you get lucky, but yours sounds like an odd shape. For my Ultrastar I couldn't find what I needed so I ended up having a custom tank made by Boyd Welding (again, google it) and am very satisfied with it.