Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spark Plug Socket?

Spark Plug Socket?

I have Tempest Plugs in my Lycoming O-145-b2 (REM37BY, 5/8” plugs, 18mm threads).

But I'm having an awful time finding the right socket for these plugs!

Aircraft Spruce has the right size, but has this note:
    Quote:
    T-557 3/8” drive without magnet PN 12-00710
    T-558 1/2” drive without magnet PN 12-00712

Not for use on Tempest spark plugs.

There's not much room so I need a fairly thin-walled socket.

Anyone else solve this problem or at least point me to the right socket?

Thanks!!
    N24286, 1940 Aeronca Chief 65-LA (Lycoming O-145-B2)
    CFI
    http://flightmusings.blogspot.com/

Someone put some non-Champion plugs (I think they were Tempest) in one of our club planes, the problem we ran into is they are a little longer than the Champions & the 7/8" plug socket we had wasn't long enough to use. They have to use a standard 6 point deep well socket to get the plugs out, and all brands aren't long enough - Craftsman & Kobalt both are long enough.

I know it's not much help but Vince B. at Tempest says design of the hex and plug body has been revised slightly to make installation/removal easier.

Perhaps you can buy a socket and find someone to machine the O.D. to a smaller size?

I would just take one of the plugs down to sears and try them in one of their sockets.

I am not familiar with "Tempest" plugs. Why would anyone want to use them instead of Champions which are proven by decades of use, especially if the others require an unusual type of wrench or socket to get them out.
    Are the tempest cheaper, or do they claim some new wonder design? I wonder if AVIATION CONSUMER magazine has ever tested them?

As for purpose made spark plug sockets, at least the ones for cars have a rubber insert so the plug doesn't fall out as you remove it from the engine. I am not sure if aviation sockets have that, I know I have just used a deep socket from Craftsman. I'll be Snap On has great sockets, probably expensive but might be worth it.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 01-27-2012 at 02:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    Are the tempest cheaper, or do they claim some new wonder design?
    Both, from what I understand (they have cutaway pics in their magazine ads showing why they are "better")

I clean & rotate the champions every oil change, they work for a long long time, I'm sticking with them.

As for purpose made spark plug sockets, at least the ones for cars have a rubber insert so the plug doesn't fall out as you remove it from the engine. I am not sure if aviation sockets have that, I know I have just used a deep socket from Craftsman. I'll be Snap On has great sockets, probably expensive but might be worth it.
    In my opinion you should start all spark plugs by hand anyway, especially on aircraft engines, to keep from crossthreading. If you do that you don't need the rubber ring to hold it in the socket.

Mike, the rubber ring or magnet in the special spark plug socket is to hold the plug after it is unscrewed and so you don't drop it when removing it. It's not to start a plug on install.
    Ever drop a $100 Lodge plug from the intake side down in the v between the banks of a Merlin or Packard?

If possible, I finish taking them out by hand also - but i have seen a few automotive designs where the only way to get it in OR out was to use the socket & extension.

I am not familiar with "Tempest" plugs. Why would anyone want to use them instead of Champions which are proven by decades of use, especially if the others require an unusual type of wrench or socket to get them out.
    Are the tempest cheaper, or do they claim some new wonder design? I wonder if AVIATION CONSUMER magazine has ever tested them?

Tempest purchased the rights and tooling for spark plugs from autolite. They changed a couple things, one is the resistor component and the other is the method or retaining the porcelain center in the body. They are a good product, about $5 or so less than some other big name plugs and equal to or better than some other big name brands for sure. It's amazing how simple a spark plug really is and how easy they are to make.

Dan, I'm not familiar with Tempest plugs, but when I had my Lycoming O-145, I was able to remove the plugs with a standard box end wrench. I still have it. If you can use it, it's yours.
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania