Thread: War bird Race Car?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

War bird Race Car?

Hello all,

I am trying to restore/recreate a vintage sports car special. If you care, you can read about it on my blog http://manningspecialreplica.blogspot.com/ . I am trying to make it as accurate as possible. He stated in a couple of articles that he used aircraft surplus parts. I guess in the 50's they had tons of surplus parts just sitting in stores because he got this stuff for next to nothing. From what I understand the rear view mirrors are from a P-38 Lockheed lightning. Is this correct? Does anyone out there know where I can find a pair? Or at least get me some good pictures and measurements so that I can make a set.
    Also attached is a picture of the fuel tank he used. He said he made it out of a propeller tank de-icer. Does anyone know what aircraft this may have come out of?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Joel

Name:  Popular Science photo 1.jpg
Views: 1286
Size:  96.4 KB
    Name:  Hop up deicer photo.jpg
Views: 1340
Size:  69.1 KB
    Name:  manning  r&t article sept 51 2of 2 - Copy.jpg
Views: 1142
Size:  103.4 KB
    Last edited by joeldriskill; 01-24-2012 at 09:52 PM.

Joel,
    Very cool project you have going.
    Do you have any progress pictures to post?
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by robertnobody View Post
    Joel,
    Very cool project you have going.
    Do you have any progress pictures to post?
    Bob
    Thanks Bob. I do not have progress pictures yet as I haven't been working on the car since I found out that I was going to move. No point in trying to move a bunch of half welded up tubes and tons of boxes filled with parts. I have been in research mode instead, and since I have dug into the research I have found that I have a lot of the wrong parts. Just more stuff to buy. As soon as the move is completed I will start up on the build of the frames. I will continue to post as I go on my blog.
    I did find out that the mirrors are from a P-38. I guess not all models had them because it took me awhile to find a picture with this on it. These were attached to the top of the canopy. Now I need to find out where the de-icer tank came from.
    Joel
    Name:  canopy mirror.jpg
Views: 992
Size:  10.0 KB

Joel - I have seen pics of a car very similar in a book that used to be in our local library when I was in high school (in fact I think I may have bought it at an old book sale, but if I did i don't know what box it is in).

If I remember correctly the book's title was something like "Hot rod it & run for fun" (or something like that) published in the late 50s or early 60s

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Switzer View Post
    Joel - I have seen pics of a car very similar in a book that used to be in our local library when I was in high school (in fact I think I may have bought it at an old book sale, but if I did i don't know what box it is in).

If I remember correctly the book's title was something like "Hot rod it & run for fun" (or something like that) published in the late 50s or early 60s
    Great! I have a large collection of books and magazines that covered this car. I had not heard of this one. Is this the book? I will be on the look out for one that isn't $700 on amazon.

Thanks
    Joel

Name:  hotroditand run for fun.jpg
Views: 767
Size:  25.4 KB

That is the cover of the book I was remembering, and if it is $700 on amazon I may have to go thru some boxes.

The pics of the car I am remembering may or may not be in that particular book, as it has been a while, and I read every book the public library had on hot rods when I was a teenager in the early 80s, but I remember the P38 mirrors & other surplus airplane parts being used.