Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Dealing with anxiety before flying

Quote Originally Posted by wtmurrell View Post
    Since I started this whole business, I guess I need to clarify something. The 20 hrs of dual was my choice. My BFR was signed off well before then. It did take me about 9 hours. I don't feel as if I was taken or gouged by a CFI in any way. Several of the hours were being checked out in a few different aircraft including an Ercoupe I own. wtmurrell
    Well, you didn't say that in the first place. Since you own a Ercoupe, I really believe your anxiety will not be easy to overcome and will probably be very dangerous for you. You need to give up on your idea of flying and give your Ercoupe to me
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania

Nice try Jerry! Somehow this doesn't sound like "professional advice".

I actually responded to a thread Bill started with an emphasis on motivation, then discovered this one and suspect it's what started Bill's thread. I think most of us have had a few days when we've faced apprehension about flying. That's a good thing, maybe we haven't had a strong x-wind in awhile, or are going out in an "different" or unfamiliar airplane, or new equipment in an old "friend". The bottom line is just like when your instructor stepped out and said "do three touch & goes and come back to the ramp, it will climb a bit faster with just you on board", and you taxi our with that anxious smile on your face. That smile gets a lot bigger when you taxi back and get the log book signed. WT you got some great advice on this thread from a great example of what EAA and the aviation community is all about welcome back!

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by wtmurrell View Post
    ... but I can't seem to get the nerve to fly on my own. Any thoughts or suggestions for coping for pushing through the anxiety I experience before flying? Has anyone had that sort of experience where they went through a period that you found it very panic inducing to try to fly and how did you get through it?
    I have that problem now. I used to live in Ohio where I flew a PA28-180 (Cherokee C) between 100-120 hours a year.

When I moved to the DFW area, I sold the Cherokee and didn't fly much for 5 years.

I have gotten back into flying, am a part owner of a C77R (Cardinal RG) and a PA32-300 (Cherokee 6) and between them I fly about 50 hrs a year. I am current on instruments and have a recent BFR.

Let me make a long story short. The more I have flown, the less stress I have in flying.

Wanna good laugh? I was making commercials in a radio station at the age of 5. I really don't have stage fright. But boy do I have mike fright when I have to make that first call to ATC.

I'm flying from a towered airport on the west side of DFW. The more I fly (maybe 2 hours a month), the less mike fright I have, and the less apprehension I have with the planes.

You own the plane, you know the area. Go fly. Find a reason to take someone on a trip. But fly. The more you fly the more the rust will come off. And one day you will realize that you went out, preflighted the plane, got in and flew, came back and put it away and then you will suddenly realize that you forgot to be nerveous.

That's how it has worked for me. And I'm back up to 30-60 hours a year (which I were back to 100, but with this economy...)

Regards,
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Joe LaMantia View Post
    Nice try Jerry! Somehow this doesn't sound like "professional advice".

Joe
    You'll notice that I didn't charge for it either.....
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania

This subject is of interest to me because while I'm relatively new to flying I've been playing with high performance toys for a long time now. I started drag racing motorcycles in 1973, I've done some motorcycle road racing (I have the scars to prove it), driven a dragster and other various activities. One of the things I learned many years ago is that while fear is normal succumbing to fear can be fatal.

I learned that in the early '70s when I was afraid to attempt a turn at too high a speed, so I crashed. It occurred to me that I had nothing to lose by trying it since I was going to crash if I didn't try it so the next time in that situation I went through the corner faster than I ever had before. Lesson learned. Now when I'm in a situation that I find uncomfortable I accept the fact that I'm nervous or frightened and focus on the task at hand. After a few times through the nerves go away.

Having said that I have had fears that I start to fixate on and that just makes them worse. Scuba diving in an overhead environment was one. When I first moved to Texas and started lake diving it really made me claustrophobic. So what I did was spent a few hours sitting in 70 feet of water with limited visibility and eventually it became less of a problem. In fact I took a wreck diving course where we had to "rescue" a body in an enclosed environment with about 2" of vis. I made it through the course just fine. But later it started to bother me again because I began thinking about it too much. Can't do that.

So having recognized that about myself while I can acknowledge the fear I also understand that it's not heathy to fixate on it. Ya just gotta work your way through it, get comfortable with it and eventually it will go away.

One of the reasons I decided to get into aviation is because I have a fear of heights. Sadly I'm still uncomfortable on a ladder but I'm pretty comfortable in an airplane. Go figure. So to recap I personally feel that it's healthy self honesty to acknowledge how I feel but then it's time to move beyond them and get on with things.
    Last edited by Eric Marsh; 01-27-2012 at 02:34 PM.

Anxiety

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaJohn View Post
    Be very careful about this advice. Depending on how the therapist codes the diagnosis/appointment for the insurance company, it can bring an end to your third class medical. Your family doctor does not know about the implications of his/her diagnosis on your medical. If you are going to go down this road, check with an AME first to find out what should not be done before you see a doctor.

Mental health issues are not well understood by the FAA at this time.
    Not really a fair statement. Mental health issues are very well understood by the FAA including the many mishaps which have had mental health issues as a contributory issue. That being said pilots with brief, self limiting or mild mental health issues are routinely medically certified with the appropriate documentation.

I don't know too many pilots who have not had occasionally had anxiety over a flight. I know now days the more I am anxious over a flight the greater the probability I should not be doing it. I really believe in the "Better on the ground wishing........" phrase. Best of luck getting through it!

I think I'm cured. My 73 year old flight instructor told me yesterday that "You're going flying today!". I retorted with "But the wind is 17 gusting to 23, and it's somewhat of a crosswind!" He replied with "All the much better, let's go!". He made me face my fear and showed me that I still had what it takes to fly, even in a cross wind. I must say that this episode really lit the fire for flying for me once again. I came away thinking "If I can handle this, I handle anything". Here's yesterday:

Absolutley fantastic!!!!!!!!, Sometimes we all need someone to show us what we really are capable of. Sounds like you have found a real gem of a flight instructor, hang on to him. May you have smooth sailing and many years of spreading your wings. Congratulations !!!!!!!.

Vaflier, I'm north of Salisbury Maryland, what do you fly? As for this thread, getting exposed to the aspects of flight and the conditions that exist is the name of the game. Don't jump out in the face of danger, but get involved with the current conditions of most days and you will be just fine.
    Dope and Fabric Guy

Hurray for our team!

Congrats and happy landings!
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.