Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
Fair enough. But that leaves you with a bit of a dilemna. Is not dealing with the reality of a medical condition more or less important than the possibility of losing your class 3? What good is your class 3 if you can't solo?
I am a mental health 'professional' (retired) and I'd be careful about seeing a shrink about this problem. First, if pre-flight is the only time the anxious feelings occur, it is probably a situational thing, and not an "anxiety disorder" requiring professional intervention. Secondly, it is very important to assess the severity of the 'anxiety'. Feeling a bit anxious about getting in an airplane is no where nearly as serious as an anxiety that produces immobility, hyperventillation and panic. (there has been a lot of mention about panic attacks in this thread - but I did not get that 'flavor' from the OP's description of his problem). Thirdly, we need to consider the possible results of having a diagnosis (valid or invalid) on record. I, in my early years of flying, experienced what I think is a similar reaction. I wanted to learn to fly, but I found myself, while driving to the airport, watching the flags and tree limbs, hoping that the wind would be too strong to fly that day. What helped me the most was to really, really concentrate on doing a GOOD pre-flight. The concentration took my mind off my anxiety, and once the engine was turning, I was "ready to go". There are some very good sugestions offered in this thread, but, I don't think seeking professional help, at this point, is one of them. Good luck and let us know how you make out....