Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First Timer... Need Advice

Really very interesting discussion. I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by malexander View Post
    I'll second what Todd said.
    Sleepy Hollow is directly across the street from the SOS tent. It's pretty loud in the evenings, say, 8:30 til midnight. There must be a curfew because at 11 or 12, it seems like they just "pull the plug" and the noise is immediately.....not there anymore.
    I think OSH is probably one of the safest places to go and take kids. We've been going since my daughters were preteens. They would walk solo from the campground, up to the main grounds to meet up with my wife, or me and never feel threatened or scared. It's altogether a different mentality of people there.

Marshall Alexander
    I'll agree with that. I mean, the worst I've seen or heard about were a few cases of people who got too drunk and were being loud and obnoxious and a couple cases of non-injury DUI over the years (one was the Patty Wagstaff incident and another was some redneck over in that little WWII reenactors camp who was riding around on an old olive drab Harley).

Other than that, it's a very peaceful and friendly event. It's the only major event where I've seen people pull together to help folks that were stranded by mechanical issues or their intended ride home flaking on them.

It's
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyFlyr View Post
    I am considering camping on-site. If I fly commercial to WI from Upstate NY, are shuttles available from any airports nearby to the event, or do I need to rent a car. Can anyone comment on what part of the campground to try and stay in? I would be attending by myself in a small tent (or if I drive, a mid-sized SUV).
    boy, that triggered memories. one year i flew my AA5 by myself after a buddy's wife realized he wasn't going on a business trip. another year my family and i stayed in the dorm. one solo trip by commercial air, camping. another by MustangII, camping.

ok, to your questions. commercial air directly to KOSH, packed camping gear in seabag, picked up luggage and left the terminal walking west, stopped at first airplane camp/parking area and set up. satisfactory. with the AA5 i took my bicycle in the back, tent by plane on arrival. very satisfactory. with MII no bike, tent by plane, OK. drive car, family in dorm, unsatisfactory - but not because of dorm.

trips by commercial air and by MII i never left the airfield, no problem finding stuff to do, eat, people to talk to. with the bike i was able to explore town easily. staying in dorm was PITA because of conflicting family requirements, too much time lost in transportation.

your later post hints you plan to drive POV and camp. fine idea. take a bike. wear a name tag. volunteer for stuff, and you won't have any need to leave the airfield.

your mileage may vary.

So, Sleepy Hollow is that area on the Airventure map labeled as "Private Residences" between Camp Scholler and the Museum and immediately behind the big inflatable movie screen. All these years I thought that campground was miles away from the airport. I'd get a parking pass to the Red Lot and setup camp in the adjacent North 40, with permission from a friendly airplane owner of course.
    http://www.airventure.org/images/av11_visitormap.jpg

Last edited by steve; 01-26-2012 at 07:19 PM. Reason: added link to AV map

Dear SkyFlyr:

I hope that you do attend this year. I've attended more than half a dozen times and have either driven all the way or flew into Milwaukee Airport and rented a car. I do not know of any shuttles from the airport. Allow yourself about an hour and a half to drive up. Getting out of the airport and on to 41 can be a little tricky, just watch for the signs carefully. On your first trip I would park in the D lot right across from the museum. that way you are close to the museum and Pioneer airport where you can catch a shuttle that will take you on over to the main entrance. As far as the event itself, it's like being on a scout trip. It's a wonderfull venue, clean and noted for it's very polite people. If they serve alcohol on the grounds, I'm not aware of it. I cannot speak for the camping grounds. I usually stay in Horican or Mayville, WI at a bed and breakfast. Personally, I like the first part of the week, it's not as crowded. They are able to handle the people very well due to how organized the event is. The heat is usually wears you out, not the people. Your RV is the way to go as you are right there. I am sure that someone else will post information on a quiet RV area. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    So, Sleepy Hollow is that area on the Airventure map labeled as "Private Residences" between Camp Scholler and the Museum and immediately behind the big inflatable movie screen. All these years I thought that campground was miles away from the airport. I'd get a parking pass to the Red Lot and setup camp in the adjacent North 40, with permission from a friendly airplane owner of course.
    http://www.airventure.org/images/av11_visitormap.jpg

Sleepy Hollow is the area behind the big screen. It's actually 1/2 mile west of the main gate on the south side of the street. You don't get a free pass to the parking lot either.
    We take bicycles or scooters for transportation. It'd take longer trying to get out in the traffic and parking in the parking lot than it does to walk to the grounds.

We've stayed at Sleepy Hollow for years. Every year Jeff has improved something. He now has, last year being the first, permanant showers, RV dump station, REAL flushing toilets.
    I'd be real hard pressed to try to find anything (campground) better. As long as we've been going, it's like a Sleepy Hollow reunion each year now. Everybody knows each others names, the kids look for their friends from the previous year. My daughters (17 & 22 now) are disappointed to leave and start talking about and looking foreward OSH next year as we're pulling out to go home.

Marshall Alexander

Oh yea, Sleepy Hollow has rental cabins and a shuttle buggy to the grounds. If you want a cabin, call NOW.
    They have a web site, just google sleepy hollow farm oshkosh. When you call them, tell 'em Marshall sent you.

Marshall Alexander

Trailbossbob

Another Option

EAA Chapter 44 in Rochester offers the Original Oshkosh Airlift that includes round-trip jet airfare from Rochester, private motor coach ground transportation to Oshkosh, 5 nights lodging at the University of Wisconsin dormitories in Oshkosh (only a short walk to the Dining facilities at Blackhawk Commons and the bus stop where we pick up our shuttle to AirVenture), and a "Go Anywhere" Oshkosh Bus Pass includes Shuttle Pass to and from the convention grounds. For reference LAST years price was $795. This years price has not yet been determined. You can learn more by going to our web site and clicking on the Oshkosh Airlift link.The Airlift is open to anyone and you do not need to be a member of EAA 44... But you are welcomed to join. ;-)Bob Nelligan-BarrettBoard Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trailbossbob View Post
    EAA Chapter 44 in Rochester offers the Original Oshkosh Airlift
    Rochester, MN, Rochester, MI, Rochester, NH, or the home of the nearly defunct optical company ??
    Bill

Wow, that seems like a pretty good deal for those coming from New York.