Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Placard Question

Quote Originally Posted by cdrmuetzel@juno.com View Post
    Or the electron age. Using the color coding from Aviation Maintenance Technician Handbook - General, chapter 7, figure 7-13, to mark the tank cap.
    Just to be clear....Ch. 7 of the AMT Handbook is referencing identification of aircraft fluid lines. Extending that practice to filler caps is quite a leap.

Some folks like to see the whole tank painted the appropriate color-code. Your mileage may vary.
    What if it's a wet wing airplane? Or a Cherokee? Or a fiber/matrix composite?

There is nothing to prohibit a fuel cap from being red, or orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, or violet so if you want your cap any of those colors, go for it. Expressing personal preference can be a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    Don't know where the tradition came from. I suspect it was to prevent inadvertent switching of the oil and gas caps (oil caps were supposed to be painted yellow).
    An old guy once told me that 80 octane airplanes had red caps because..........the fuel was red.

Can't vouch for the accuracy but I thought it sounded interesting.

Some of the old military stuff used to indicate the preferred and alternate fuel next to the cap. Great if you don't mind having all that writing there....

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    Extending that practice to filler caps is quite a leap.
    and some AMT's think they're Superman. it's merely a single bound.

"There is nothing to prohibit a fuel cap from being red, or orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, or violet so if you want your cap any of those colors, go for it. Expressing personal preference can be a good thing"

yeah, even the caps on red portable fuel cans are black! and just because the transmission dipsticks on my cars are yellow didn't prevent the manufacturers from using yellow on the windshield washer reservoirs. nobody would ever mix up those two things. go for it, be creative!

or listen to the experienced pros you trust with your life. do what aviation's general practice has been for decades. your mileage may vary.
    Last edited by Mike M; 01-24-2012 at 07:19 AM.

Gee, Ron, I guess I'm a dinosaur as well, as I assumed that the oil cap was supposed to be painted yellow and the gas cap red (for Mogas).
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Quote Originally Posted by cdrmuetzel@juno.com View Post
    and some AMT's think they're Superman. it's merely a single bound.

"There is nothing to prohibit a fuel cap from being red, or orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, or violet so if you want your cap any of those colors, go for it. Expressing personal preference can be a good thing"

yeah, even the caps on red portable fuel cans are black!
    yeah? Apparently some didn't get the memo!!

Name:  cans.jpg
Views: 775
Size:  8.9 KB

and just because the transmission dipsticks on my cars are yellow didn't prevent the manufacturers from using yellow on the windshield washer reservoirs. nobody would ever mix up those two things. go for it, be creative!

or listen to the experienced pros you trust with your life. do what aviation's general practice has been for decades. your mileage may vary.
    Being the aviation general practice for decades, one would think finding a published reference for such practice wouldn't be overly difficult. It would certainly make for a more convincing argument than jerry can and automobile analogies.

Ah yes one of my pet peeves,forming the experimentals to the certified standards,then holding them to the same standards. Good thing innovators didn't do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Racegunz View Post
    Ah yes one of my pet peeves,forming the experimentals to the certified standards,then holding them to the same standards. Good thing innovators didn't do the same.
    Name:  350x350px-LL-851ac22e_d61912a9_cant-tell-if-serious.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  12.3 KB
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Not entirely serious, long story, but still a pet peeve, it is experimental, but if you sell it, it should be placarded similar to a certified rig. I bought one with 3 different fuel capacities logged in different places I went with the lowest until I could drain and check useable. Still it wasn't a certified plane and I think the legal limit is limiting enough. Off soap box.....

Not entirely serious, long story
    Care to share, either on the thread, in PM or maybe over lunch sometime?

but still a pet peeve, it is experimental, but if you sell it, it should be placarded similar to a certified rig.
    I can't say I disagree, but then again, any aircraft I design is built to at least the Part 23, 25 et cetera. It's just that I like to have a "yardstick" and I figure those regulations are the minimum standards by which other aircraft are "yardsticked" by. I don't see any reason to drop below it.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.