Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tools: calibrated torque wrench, screwdriver too?

I use a Craftsman model 1019 Laboratory edition, signature series torque wrench. The kind used by Cal Tech High Energy physicists, and NASA engineers.It had been calibrated by top members of the state and federal Departments of Weights and Measures, to be dead-on balls accurate. Here's the certificate of validation.

Rolls Eyes dead on balls accurate

Vinny: Dead on balls accurate?Mona Lisa: Its an industry term.One of my favorite movies! I never met a lawyer who didn't like that movie. Thanks for reminding me of one of my favorite scenes of all time!Beyond that, I don't have much to say about touque. wrenches, except to say that technique definitely affects accuracy. Learn proper technique!

I found a Stanley J6066CXCERT, 3/8" 200-1000 in/Lb that comes with a certificate. If it isn't current, I've found a local shop that will certify it for $80 but then I'll have to do that annually anyway.

Thanks everyone,
    Bob Wilson

Good advice, turtle

For what value an second opinion has coming in out of thin air from someone whose experience and skill can't be judged, I agree with Turtle's advice. Costly torque wrenches still need to go to the calibration shop, and perform no better than an in-tolerance HF torque wrench. Save yer money and buy HF wrenches, all 3 of them for that matter, and get them all tested. Any that fail and can't be adjusted into tolerance, bring back and swap for another one. If you're diligent about HF coupons, you'll spend way under a hundred bucks on three serviceable torque wrenches. Spend the rest on airplane parts. Torque values are generally ranges, anyway, and so long as a fastener is torqued within the suggested range, I'd think it's good to go. Precision down to one unit of measure seems unnecessary. As a homebuilder who has gone to the trouble to test his wrenches before use and get a calibration cert as well, you'll be well ahead of a whole lot of your homebuilding colleagues.
    Last edited by phavriluk; 01-27-2012 at 11:30 AM. Reason: add to reply