Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Red Tails

Quote Originally Posted by Sirota View Post
    Let me start by saying I'm a big fan of the Red Tails - the real Red Tails, not the movie. I truly believe they are heros. But.... I received this from a local WWII vet. I don't believe him to be racist or to have any agenda other then getting the truth out. I don't know whether to believe this or consider it more internet crap but I'm passing it on so someone can affirm or discredit it.
    I don't this is the place to discuss that internet post. Like many viral internet post, it does contains some facts – but not completely accurate. Therefore it seemed to me to be targeted to incite a political discussion rather than clarifying historical facts. Every real historian I have met is very meticulous and fastidious about the facts.
    The movie – I agree with most of what has been noted in earlier posts. It is not a historical rendition or a theatrical masterpiece. However, as a pilot, I found it entertaining. I like action adventure movies and this is one. Probably best seen on the big screen than on TV – but I’ll get the dvd as well. The real value to society will be if the movie spurs people to research the history, discuss it and learn from it (not included in the text books when I was in school).

Quote Originally Posted by DRGT View Post
    The real value to society will be if the movie spurs people to research the history, discuss it and learn from it (not included in the text books when I was in school).
    Isn't that what the vet in Atlanta is trying to do?

Don

Quote Originally Posted by DRGT View Post
    The real value to society will be if the movie spurs people to research the history, discuss it and learn from it (not included in the text books when I was in school).
    That's laudable, but the more likely result is continued shallow understanding of history based on cartoon cutouts.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Dan McCormack
    Smoketown, PA (S37)
    N24286, 1940 Aeronca Chief 65-LA (Lycoming O-145-B2)
    CFI
    http://flightmusings.blogspot.com/

Hi All,

I'm new here, but was fortunate enough to fly in one of the Tuskegee Airmen's original Stearman trainers. It now resides here in Australia and was a wonderful experience.

As you can see below, it now sports an all-over scarlet paint scheme.

Cheers,

Owen
    My Aviation Blog
    http://www.owenzupp.com/_blog/Owen_Zupp

Name:  V2Stearman.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  48.8 KB
    Last edited by Nostalgair; 02-04-2012 at 11:51 AM.

I saw the movie "Red Tails" on opening night. I thought the animation of the planes and presumably all the vintage equipment at the airports were very well done, just like the "Dog Fights" series on the History Channel. I didn't realize that all their mechanics were also black.
    I only had a problem with the fact that in the beginning of the movie they had dog fights with the ME 109's with yellow noses, who were the expert "Abbeville Boys" of the 1940's fame against the British Spitfires, with the slow P-40's and managed to keep up with them and shoot down numerous ME 109's without suffering ANY casualties! Later they were up-graded to the P-51's and kept up with the ME-262's, which flew 100 mph faster, and shot down several of them too! I heard that they only shot down two ME-262's. There was also an episode where they totally shot up a German airport and came away with nary a scratch.
    Incidentally the theater where I saw it was not completely filled on opening night.

Nostalgair;
    Howdy! (That's Southern Americian for Hello)

I realize you guys are "down under" and the water in the Loo swirls the wrong way but is this the way all airplanes there fly?

Chris
    You Tube only proves that more airplanes have crashed due to Video Camaras than any other single reason...