Thread: Source for Aerolite adhesive

Source for Aerolite adhesive

We are building the ULF-1 all wood microlight sailplane and need a US source for Aerolite adhesive used in boat construction. Anyone have any contacts?
    Thanks,
    Holliday Obrecht

Quote Originally Posted by Holliday Obrecht View Post
    We are building the ULF-1 all wood microlight sailplane and need a US source for Aerolite adhesive used in boat construction. Anyone have any contacts?
    Looks like a tough item to find. Weldwood is another urea formaldehyde glue, but one source says it's different in its gap-filling ability.

Keep in mind that the FAA discourages the use of UF glues on certified aircraft. From AC43-13-1B, page 1-4, para 1-4(b):

(3) Plastic resin glue (urea-formaldehyde resin glue) has been used in wood aircraft for many years. Caution should be used due to possible rapid deterioration (more rapidly than wood) of plastic resin glue in hot, moist environments and under cyclic swell-shrink stress. For these reasons, urea-formaldehyde should be considered obsolete for all repairs. Any proposed use of this type adhesive should be discussed with the appropriate FAA office prior to using on certificated aircraft.

Ron Wanttaja

yea, just get some T-88 or West Systems or any other far superior glue. I'm guessing the only reason those weren't recommended is that they weren't available or known to the designers back when the ULF-1 was designed. By the way, would love to see some pictures etc. of your build. That's a cool design!

I have done a bunch of testing with Spruce and epoxies. I found that you can double the strength of a epoxy glue joint by applying this first, http://www.rotdoctor.com/products/cpes.html then the glue while "restorer" is still wet. better penetration is what its all about.

Aerolite is recommended by Sequoia Aircraft for the Falco.

I am using aerolite as the structural adhesive on my Falco. I like it. Easy to use even in very small amounts, easy to clean up, less toxic than epoxies, cures at temps down to mid fities.

A thorough discussion of aerolite can be found here:

http://www.seqair.com/skunkworks/Glu.../Aerolite.html

Aerolite powder is available in England from Sky-craft.co.uk and gluelines.co.uk
    One time I got a shipment of hardener with the powder, once they refused to ship. I think officially the hardener cant be air shipped.
    Hardener is a formic acid solution, available in the US.
    Expect the shipping cost to be about the same as the cost of the glue. Dont be shocked, it is a small fraction of the cost of the airplane.

pete

Thanks to everyone who replied to my glue inquiry. After all this, we have decided to just go with Systems 3, T-88 epoxy.
    Holliday

Quote Originally Posted by Holliday Obrecht View Post
    Thanks to everyone who replied to my glue inquiry. After all this, we have decided to just go with Systems 3, T-88 epoxy.
    Holliday
    Smart move. While a lot of us tend to bash the FAA, most of their regulations (especially related to design and construction) are in existence for a reason. Usually the "reason" involves the loss of at least several people as a result of such a standard not being in place. Even if we are not legally beholden to follow them, it's probably a good idea to follow them unless we have a very good and defensible (as in from an engineering standpoint) reason for not doing so.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Thanks for the note. I'll download it there.
    Have a nice weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by steveinindy View Post
    Smart move. While a lot of us tend to bash the FAA, most of their regulations (especially related to design and construction) are in existence for a reason. Usually the "reason" involves the loss of at least several people as a result of such a standard not being in place. Even if we are not legally beholden to follow them, it's probably a good idea to follow them unless we have a very good and defensible (as in from an engineering standpoint) reason for not doing so.
    Not bashing the FAA on this one, but I have those very good and defensible reasons (from an engineering standpoint) that you call for, thank you, and I will continue to use Aerolite on my airplane.

T-88's good stuff too. Use gloves. And dont sand it without a mask.

Not bashing the FAA on this one, but I have those very good and defensible reasons (from an engineering standpoint) that you call for, thank you, and I will continue to use Aerolite on my airplane.
    Agreed.....I wish you only the best. The only reason I bring stuff like this up is so that people think long and hard about their choices in design.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.