Thread: What's the Mission

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What's the Mission

Ok, So I grew up with Popular Science with the BD5 and the Varieze as the planes that are homebuilt and really cool. I have looked at Youtube, talked to a couple of fellow EAA members of the local #91 @LXT, I'm stuck between the Sonex Aerovee and the Zenith 750, which is a wide spread between capabilities and a Few thousand dollars. I currently training in a PA28-140 have flown a 172,150,152 and actually got a ride in a Jabaru 3300 Sonex. I like the feel of sitting on the wings not hanging from the wings but that's another debate. So I'm lost on figuring out the mission 90 vs 150 kts, as i get older speed may not be as important. Any thoughts?

The Sonex is stronger. I like it because of the airframe strength that's been verified by static testing to very impressive levels and some inadvertent testing in the field.
    Bill

For me, the appeal of the CH 750 is the ability to fly it from my backyard and hangar the airplane in my barn. I'd gladly accept the lower cruise speed for that kind of utility.

If I planned on keeping the airplane at an airport, the STOL ability doesn't have as much value. Makes sense to trade some takeoff and landing capability for more cruise speed.

Then there are the other preferences, comfort, space, etc.

As hideously ugly as the Sonex is, it's structural integrity is rather remarkable although- as with any design- there is always some room for improvement.

That said, Chris Heintz is practically a magician for getting something functional airborne in that short of distances. He's also a very nice guy who always seems eager to teach about the techniques of design. Example: http://www.zenithair.com/kit-data/ht.html
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Quote Originally Posted by steveinindy View Post
    As hideously ugly as the Sonex is, it's structural integrity is rather remarkable/ht.html
    The A-10 Warthog is "hideously ugly" too, but there's nothing that beats it at doing its job and its structural integrity is legendary. In addition, it refuels much better than some of the more flashy-looking fighters and bombers as I recall (though at my age, recall is becoming harder). I still enjoy seeing and hearing (with the distinctive sound a pair of TF-34s make, you don't even have to look up to know its a hog) a flight of A-10s going over the house.
    Bill

Actually I think the Warthog is a beautiful. The Sonex is just oddly put together.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.