Thread: Sonex Onex

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Sonex Onex

Has anyone recived a onex kit yet? Thanks

The Sonex forums have people showing photos of significant build progress on their Onex...so I'd have to venture a "yes."
    Robbie Culver
    Sonex #1517
    Taildragger
    AeroVee
    Currently working on the wings
    Chicagoland

With over 50 Onex kits shipped in 2011 by Sonex and the first kit shipped in July according to the Sonex end of year message, I'm sure that most of them have been received unless Conway is stockpiling them somewhere. Whether any of those builders frequent this forum and can thus offer first-hand information, I don't know.
    Bill

I would like to really look at one of those wing fold mechanisms. up close. It sounds to good to be true! Not that I am doubting it but I have just have to see it work and if I would feel safe. I just have to find a solution to this hanger problem.

Quote Originally Posted by RV8505 View Post
    I would like to really look at one of those wing fold mechanisms. up close. It sounds to good to be true! Not that I am doubting it but I have just have to see it work and if I would feel safe. I just have to find a solution to this hanger problem.
    hangar vs hangerName:  300px-Hangar.svg.jpg
Views: 1127
Size:  9.9 KBName:  img_luxury-suit-hanger.jpg
Views: 1252
Size:  22.4 KB

I got one of those now and it fits my ego fine! ! I'm planning in my 40's for flying in my 70's.Former B-52 hanger by the way.Name:  620.jpg
Views: 1328
Size:  91.7 KB

I was there in 2010 for the "roll out" and saw them demo-ing the wing fold. Took about 15 seconds, both wings up or both wings down, if you weren't really trying. My hangar-mate was there in 2011 and said they were dropping the wings from fully stowed. Not that I would do that with my airplane, but I guess they have got some confidence in that mechanism.

Not sure what you want to see - there's a "paddle" for the aileron, so nothing to connect/disconnect there, and the release lever pulls 2 pins - one at the bottom of the main spar, and one through the aft spar.

Here's some photos I took, wing hinge about halfway down on this page:
    http://www.spoonworld.com/flying/osh...h2010_onex.htm
    Murphy's 13th: Every solution breeds new problems...

http://www.spoonworld.com

Quote Originally Posted by RV8505 View Post
    I got one of those now and it fits my ego fine! ! I'm planning in my 40's for flying in my 70's.Former B-52 hanger by the way.Name:  620.jpg
Views: 1328
Size:  91.7 KB
    hangar with a hanger inside it.

Name:  hangar with a hanger.jpg
Views: 1189
Size:  61.8 KB

I'm glad somebody brings this up. Hangar, like Fuselage and Aileron and ... are originally French words and used that way worldwide. A Hanger, to the contrary, is what you (should) hang your coat on.