Thread: What size disc sander?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What size disc sander?

Looking for a disc sander for my wood plane project. Torn between a 10 and 12 inch. Will be using it for Spruce no bigger than 3/4 inch thick and 6 inches wide, also for shaping metal fittings from .063 steel and .125 aluminum (max.) Is bigger always better??????? And do I reall need a big belt sander/ disc combo unit?

Quote Originally Posted by jtrom View Post
    Looking for a disc sander for my wood plane project. Torn between a 10 and 12 inch.
    One factor to consider is the availability of media. If you can pick up 10" disks at the hardware store down the street but have to order 12" disks by mail, it makes more sense to go with the smaller one.

Ron Wanttaja

When we made the decision to get a sander we bought this one http://www.grizzly.com/products/Comb...1725-RPM/G1276 It is the most used piece of equipment we have. but do not buy Grizzly sander belts. their splices really bump
    I do steel, Aluminum, wood on it and it has never had a problem in nearly 20 years. We did drop it moving it and Grizzly had replacement parts in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    One factor to consider is the availability of media.

Ron Wanttaja
    We buy these, and yes you do have to plan ahead.

http://www.klingspor.com/products/KlgprBlts.htm
    Last edited by Tom Downey; 01-15-2012 at 11:26 AM.

Do you ever use the belt sander over the disc?...what are the advantages of the belt?

I use the belt more than the disk. the disk seems to clog quicker than the belt. and it will burn the wood quicker too.

Go Grizzly

In the aircraft production environment I worked in, a 12" bench sander is a commonplace tool found in almost every subshop. Mostly because of that experience, I purchased a Grizzly 12" sander for my use at home. Because the tool has proven so useful for both sheet metal and woodworking projects, I bought another one for my hangar. YMMV.