Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safety Harness Recommendations

Safety Harness Recommendations

Folks,

I am shopping for safety harnesses for the BD-4C that I am building. This is a four-place airplane and my intention is to never be upside down or aerobatic in it :-) Front seats are adapted from a Piper twin, pretty upright with the bottom of the seat frames about 7 inches off the floor. Back seating is a sling seat with the passengers' butts very close to the floor.

I am thinking 4-point harnesses for everybody. I know that 5-point is safer but wonder about the difficulty in getting "normal" passengers to fasten the crotch strap.

What recommendations do you have? 4 vs 5 point? Style of buckle? Width of webbing? Brand? Supplier?

And... of course... I have the age old conflict of wanting "inexpensive" and "safety equipment." :-)

Thanks,
    -- Art Z.
    -- Art Zemon, Saint Charles, MO, USA
    -- Building: Bede BD-4C
    -- Cheerful Curmudgeon blog

I would go with a Simpson 5 point race harness. It has been a few years (well, a lot of years) since I have been in a race car but unless they have changed you don't have to buckle the crotch strap.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Shop/S...rnesses/8.html

http://www.summitracing.com/search/d...rder=Ascending

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Switzer View Post
    I would go with a Simpson 5 point race harness. It has been a few years (well, a lot of years) since I have been in a race car but unless they have changed you don't have to buckle the crotch strap.
    Mike,

That's an idea: install the crotch strap but don't stress about it if passengers choose not to use it. Is that what you mean?

-- Art Z.
    -- Art Zemon, Saint Charles, MO, USA
    -- Building: Bede BD-4C
    -- Cheerful Curmudgeon blog

Yes, install it but don't connect the crotch strap to the rest of the harness if you don't want to. Personally, if it was installed I would use it, but ladies wearing dresses probably won't want to.

I installed belts with the shoulder harnesses sewn to the lap belt. It keeps the cockpit from having so many belts hanging about and ensures the passenger never misses wearing shoulder harnesses. Also makes for an easy in for passengers since the shoulder harnesses are there when the latch the lap belts. Downside to that configuration is that the lap belt adjusters are located towards the bottom of the lap belt down along side of the seat cushion, so may not be work well in side-by-side seating. I originally ordered 3" lap belts and shoulder harnesses, but was appalled at the weight. I shipped them back in favor of 2" harnesses with a wide waist pad sewn into them. Also, the speed shops won't sell you belts if you tell them it's for an aircraft. Of course they don't ask if you order on line.

-Cub Builder
    Last edited by cub builder; 10-09-2015 at 03:54 PM.

I have standard four point harnesses and they are very comfortable for all day trips. The problem with many racing harnesses is they have wide padded straps that can feel like extra clothing on a hot day and restrict normal side to side movement. The racing models can become quite uncomfortable on a long flight.

I'm not a homebuilder, but I have strong views on harnesses. I have flown basic aerobatics with 5 point harnesses, and my airplane is equipped with 4 point BAS harnesses in the front seats. So far as I know, there are no STCs for back seat harnesses for my airplane.

Of the normal types of buckles available, I disagree with the rotary type that allows the shoulder straps to be disconnected without disconnecting the lap belts. That encourages unnecessary disconnecting, and that reduces the safety of the harness system by a huge percentage.

The "standard" buckle, in which the shoulder straps remain attached to their respective seat belt straps when unbuckled, and the "utility" buckle (aka "seaplane" buckle) in which the shoulder straps come loose when the lap belt is unbuckled, are the remaining types. Mine is the "standard" buckle, but I wore the "utility" buckle while taking seaplane training last year. Frankly, there is very little difference in convenience, either in buckling up or in getting out when unbuckling, so it's really just a matter of the owner's preference--so long as the shoulder straps of the "utility" buckle are attached.

Personally, I'd stay away from race car straps, even if FAA approved. The 3" straps I've seen are awfully heavy and likely uncomfortable for any lengthy wearing.

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee

Hooker has always been good to me. Lots of free advice if you need it. I'm not experimental but the guy in the booth at Oshkosh knew exactly where to refer me for the information on how to install them in my Navion and a sample letter to include in my logs giving justification for my installation.

To be honest, if I were a passenger in a BD-4C and the pilot instructed me on the use of a five point harness I'd be asking that famous question:

"Sir, what are your intentions?"

A five point harness implies aerobatics to me, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Four point harness is just right, IMHO. If you anticipate passengers that are new to you (such as you like to take people up that are unfamiliar to GA), go with the shoulder harness that is always part of the lap belt. If it's the Usual Suspects that will be with you, then things can open up with other fasteners. I like the ease of keeping things tight with the shoulder straps on the belt when the seat is out of use.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Allan Silver makes great custom harnesses: www.silverparachutes.com

As far as 4 vs 5 point. I have 5's in my Pitts and Eagle, had a 4 in the Cessna I sold this year. Always wondered about sliding under the 4 point in a sudden stop. Not an issue with a 5 point. I'd suggest a 5 point for safety.